JP100D review by Sterling by Music Man

Sterling by Music Man: JP100D

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play mostly metal and hard rock but I branch out into almost every style. This guitar suits what I like to do almost perfectly. This guitar is extremely versatile and could handle most genres of music effectively. The only exception would be some music that requires single-coil pickups as this guitar does not include coil-tapping unfortunately... I ran it through a Peavey Vyper and Line 6 Spider IV. It achieved a really nice clean tone on both amps especially with a little added chorus. I did some fingerpicking and then a little bit of funk and it sounded great. Good articulation. The distorted sounds were just as good if not better. You can hear the individual notes ringing out when you play chords. The 6505 setting on the Vyper doesn't sound to great with this guitar but I didn't try and tweak it either. The Rectifier setting sound really good though for the distortion. On the Line 6 I've created my own presets because the ones on the amp all suck and the guitar sounded amazing through it too. It can nail the tone for "The Number Of The Beast" or "Technical Difficulties" perfectly.

This guitar is a great match for the style of music I play. The only thing I wish it had was coil tapping and I might get that done sometime in the future. If somebody stole it, I'd destroy them like Pepsi destroys Coke... This is one of the best guitars I've ever played on. Worth probably twice as much. Now all I need is the actual Music Man!

I've only had this guitar for a couple days but everything seems to be good quality and in great shape so yes it would withstand live playing. Everything seems like it would last and I could probably gig without a backup. But, I won't.

The guitar's set-up was also really good. It was out of tune when I got it but, that was about it. The strings are set low but, there is absolutely no fret buzz that I've identified. Sweeping is very easy on this guitar. Think of an Ibanez Wizard neck. The neck was carved asymmetrically to fit the curve of your hand better which is really nice. There were no finish flaws or anything when I got it. The pickup selector makes no noise either. Overall the action was just great.

This guitar was made in 2011 and was made in Japan. It is a cheaper version of the signature John Petrucci guitars made by Music Man. It has twenty-four Jumbo frets, a basswood body with a quilted veneer maple top and a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The fingerboard has shield inlays and the inlay on the first fret has the JP initials. It comes with a Sterling Modern Non-Locking Tremolo and the vibrato bar's tension can be adjusted to your liking. It comes with two humbuckers in it. The pickups in it are John Petrucci's signature pickups; the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire. It comes with one volume and one tone control and a three-way switch. The tuners are locking and seem to hold tune really well even after messing with the tremolo bar a lot. My guitar came in the mail with a really nice soft shell case. It also had two Allen wrenches and a little steel rod for adjusting the truss rod in the guitar. The guitar also has a matching headstock with John Petrucci's signature on it.

Sakke
    JustStayDown90 wrote: "If somebody stole it, I'd destroy them like Pepsi destroys Coke... This is one of the best guitars I've ever played on. Worth probably twice as much." Wow, how immature. Doesn't look like you've played any guitar other than this, either. Try Carvin guitars for some real quality.
    Or pretty much any other guitar in given price category.. However, new Carvins cost a bit more than that. However, you should really try out as many guitars as possible before buying guitars. You never really know what truly fits you perfectly. I can sacrifice tone if I can achieve something more in feel. You can always upgrade pickups, you can't really upgrade the wood.
    Redfinton22
    "Pepsi destroys Coke..." I'm sorry man but your already flimsy credibility went straight down the toilet when I read this. Seems like a great guitar and everything but I'd also say you should wait longer than a few days before you review it, for all we know the thing could have fallen apart completely the second after you posted the review
    sewoo55
    MetalFriend wrote: Also it was made in Indonesia not Japan!!!! :/
    Don't worry I've played some chinese made guitars that play more comfortably than japan/us made guitars
    MaggaraMarine
    Xelested wrote: This guitar is extremely versatile and could handle most genres of music effectively. That's good to know since 80% of your tone comes from your amp.
    Of course it's good to know. That's why there's a "sound" section. The sound comes from the amp, yes, but you can tell the difference when somebody's playing with Tele or LP or a cheap Strat copy. And with your logic we shouldn't rate amp's sound either because who is playing affects the sound most. If you are complete noob you will sound like crap no matter what Marshall and Gibson you are using. The sound comes from the combination. Everything affects the sound: Who is playing and what guitar, amp/cab and effects you are using.
    TheGroundZero
    I just went through 2 of these in 2 weeks. Both had junk necks and frets. Absolutely horrible quality. I did a ton of research before selecting it and was really disappointed. It felt like a $279 guitar with decent pickups. The first one I got had such bad high/low frets that it was beyond setup help. Even the "pro" tech at Guitar Center said it wasn't worth trying to correct and they should just order a new one for me. They did, and the second one was a little better, but still had fret issues. Very poor quality neck and rough frets. It also had a "dead" G string. Maybe a bad saddle or something? It would not sustain no matter what I tried. I've been playing guitar for 27 years so I know what a good guitar should feel/play like. Everything else about the guitars were good, but you can't overlook bad frets and wavy necks no matter how great the rest of the hardware is. In a nutshell, I had ~$850 of warranty money from GC(from a used Les Paul Studio with an unfixable backbow in the neck) to play with. The Sterling seemed like a no-brainer after researching it. Of course my local Guitar Centers didn't have on in store so I had to buy sight unseen. Anyway, after trying and returning 2 different JP100Ds, I grabbed a Schecter C-1 Classic Antique Amber off the wall for the hell of it. Mahogany Neck-through, full body/neck/head binding, 24 frets, Duncan JB and 59 pups, TonePros bridge and Grover tuners. This thing looked like hell. The strings were corroded. The pickup covers had corrosion and buildup. The guitar looked like it had never been cleaned. The tag said $899 but I talked them 15% off for the condition(which cleaned up beautifully at home). This guitar blows the Sterling away in every aspect. Superb quality and killer tone. So it seems like I'm in the minority for bad experience with the Sterling JP100D. I would say don't buy one unless you can play it and thoroughly check it out first.
    JustStayDown90
    MetalFriend
    I'm sorry about the stupid and immature joke guys... I have played on better guitars including the actual Music Man that this guitar is designed off of. Played on Ibanez Prestige guitars and many Fender and Gibson guitars that my teacher has. In terms of playability this guitar is very nice. I know a lot of the parts and woods used in this guitar aren't as good as some of the better guitars out there but in terms of being suited to how I play and what I can afford it works really well.
    jas6nq
    It's one of the most versatile guitars in terms of styles of music, talk about the craftsmanship, sharp edges, anything that felt cheap. Don't review it after a couple of days either.
    MetalFriend
    jas6nq wrote: talk about the craftsmanship, sharp edges, anything that felt cheap. Don't review it after a couple of days either.
    Alright, there were no sharp edges on the frets and no fret buzz at all when playing it unplugged. Also the three-way toggle switch was loose and I had to tighten it up. That's about it I think?
    RJKaneao
    Keep in mind that this is their sterling line and it already feels and sounds world class.. Just imagine what the American made ones sound and feel like.. I have a AX30 by Sterling Musicman and rom the moment I played it I felt smooth and buttery like. Lol snap on some cool Ernie Ball Cobalt strings and you're in for a unforgettable ride.. Amazing quality
    peavey6505+user
    I agree with getting a guitar that feels good for you over the actual percieved quality that a high price tag gives you, ive been playing guitar for about 10 years now and after going through most of the budget and mid priced guitars I bought a PRS custom 24 and i sold it not long after as even though it was built to a very high standard it just didnt feel right to me, I currently do all my gigs with an Ibanez SZ320 with emgs that ive had for 7 years as it feels great to me. Having said that i will be purchasing one of these at the end of the month as i have serious GAS for it and well if the quality of my ibanez is fine for me then im sure ill be happy with the quality a £699 guitar provides.
    Xelested
    That's good to know since 80% of your tone comes from your amp.
    gerrygtr62
    correction: this version Doesn't Come with DiMarzios, dude, LOL!!!! However, go get some, the Crunch Lab and Liquid Fire are awesome, it'll further enhance the guitar!!
    MeTall3d
    No it does come with DiMazios, the exact reason why it is approximately 120$ more than the standard JP100.
    Rockinguitar
    MetalFriend wrote: If somebody stole it, I'd destroy them like Pepsi destroys Coke
    Aww, I like Coke. Unless it's Pepsi Throwback. Pepsi Throwback beats everything. Coke...Rock...Scissors...Fiber...