JP6 BFR review by Sterling by Music Man

Sterling by Music Man: JP6 BFR

Price paid: € 2899

Purchased from: Just Music Hamburg

I play in a cover band and play LOTS of different music. From Blues to Metal and cleans. This guitar and because of Piezo/Coil tap is insane for different kinds of music. The sound is very rich in clean, and extremely powerful with Distortion on. You can play from Metallica to Pink Floyd and SRV on this baby. A 9/10 because I prefer a crunchier neck pickup for Metallica style music.

I play lots of different music as mentioned, and THIS IS the guitar to go. Most versatile thing ever. I prefer heavier guitars such as LPs, so it gets a 9 from me here, but imagine it as a 10 if you like lighter guitars. I wouldn't have the money to buy it again, therefore I would hunt down the thief and make him feel bad for it.

I didn't play live with this guitar yet, but it seems to be able to withstand Hiroshima. It's build to play baseball with. I could depend on it alone, but I always take a backing guitar with myself. nothing on the guitar. The finish is too beautiful for me to try to do anything with it, but it seems to look ugly if it chips off. The color is beautiful and should look epic under stage light.

the action was AMAZING. It came with set of 9s which I changed when I got home, a truss rod adjustment and suited the bridge the way I wanted it, and I can play as fast as an iPhone in a blender. The control is just beautiful. The guitar was in a "Special Guitar" room in the shop, therefore it was clean and beautiful as a new version.

This is a Custom Ernie Ball Music Man BFR JP Signature, made in USA 2010. It has 24 frets, with a custom FULL rosewood neck. The neck is very thin and very fast, due to it's unfinished nature. It has a glossy Olive/Gold finish. The body is Alder, it has a mahagony tone block. The body is a Superstrat style with 2 outputs for Piezo pickup and Magnetic pickups. The bridge is John Petrucci custom floating bridge WITHOUT a locking nut, which stays in tune surprisingly well. The bridge is very similar to a Strat when you re-string. It has 2 humbuckers and a 3 way switch. Liquifire and Crunchlab, and middle switch is a Coil tap. It also has a Piezo in the bridge. There is one volume control for Magnetic, one for Piezo, a tone control, a 3 way Piezo switch and a 3 way magentic switch. There is also an equalizer behind the guitar which needs a philips screwdriver for Piezos. It has Sperzel locking tuners, and came with a EBMM case and extra springs. The case is great, because you can put the guitar in with the tremolo on and it has a cavity for it. Get a 9.8/10 because of Piezo equalizers, but well.. 10!

Air_Stryker
    That's a pretty beautiful looking guitar. I'd love to gave that one a try. =)
    sorzza
    nido wrote: Can this bridge withstand whammy abuse without going out of tune?
    **** yeah they can
    xIxRocksx
    Pthero
    John Petrucci's guitars are top notch. I'm not surprised to see that it got a high rating. I'd pick this guitar over any guitar.
    guitarmazdur
    my dad has this guitar and every time i play it he has to pry it from my hands if he ever wants it back. literally everything about it is incredible. the only thing that i dont like about it is the fact that i dont own one myself
    Asutari
    shredder3386
    Just sold my JP6 BFR for a Gibson Les Paul custom. These are awesome gutiars but it never really suited my play style. I found my hand kept smacking the toggle switch and the tone was thinner due to the gutiar's construction. I also found the neck very small. Either way Ernie ball makes great guitars and I can see wy people love them.
    Drewste720571
    You know, not every double-cutaway is a superstrat. People through that out way to freely sometimes.
    iceh88
    nido
    Can this bridge withstand whammy abuse without going out of tune?
    omidmash
    Ranmanguitar wrote: Take it from someone who owned one of these. It sounds great, the bridge is amazing but the neck is a lemon. I set it up over and over and it would be fine for a day but then as soon as you played anything higher than the eighth fret it would be right out of inntonation. The same problem happened to a friend of mine who owned one. For the price you would be better off getting a nice Ibanez presige or save your coin for a custom build. This thing is more of a novelty than anything. Tread very lightly!
    Well you need to learn to set up. I didn't touch the intonation or anything since i bought it and it's perfectly intonated. Every single fret is accurate.
    guitarmazdur
    iceh88 wrote: one day i will own one of these beautiful guitars. I bet this thing plays like butter.
    oh, you know it
    swave75
    Asutari wrote: Put this in a hardcover case with a speaker on the inside, and when you open it says "RELEASE THE KRAKEN" and you whip out this beast of a guitar. Fuck yeah.
    Awesome!!!
    Ranmanguitar
    I know how to intonate it. Mine must have just been a lemon. I'm not saying don't buy it. Just buyer beware. Don't let happen to you what happened to me.
    omidmash
    xIxRocksx wrote: You can play from Metallica to Pink Floyd and SRV on this baby. A 9/10 because I prefer a crunchier neck pickup for Metallica style music. wat. A 9 in sound because it couldn't play Metallica.... Ever come to think that's because this guitar can't possibly sound like shit?
    Yep, I gave you a plus. I mean, it doesn't have that distortion of an active pickup, and causes it to sometimes sound TOO good for my music. It's not a 9 because it can't play metallica, it's just the fact that it sounds TOO good that I have to give it a 9. An all 10 is not what you anybody is after.
    Shinozoku
    It's broken because there's a space between the 1 and 8. Copy and paste and fix that space, and it's fine. Sexy guitars...
    Oixord
    I own one of these, and never in my life have I played on a guitar that's as comfortable, smooth and fast as this one. Every other guitar feels like shit compared to this. And it sounds beautiful too.
    shwilly
    JEALOUS!!!
    nido wrote: Can this bridge withstand whammy abuse without going out of tune?
    Yup: the bridges on these are great and the locking tuners are top notch Believe me, if that wasn't the case John would have a locking nut installed on all of these, but there really is no need to
    Ranmanguitar