CLP-79 review by Strinberg

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 7
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 8
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 8
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 4.5 (27 votes)
Strinberg: CLP-79
0

Price paid: $ 280

Purchased from: PlayTech

Sound — 7
The sound really surprised me. When I plugged it into my Vox, I got very pleasant tones. OK, they are not top notch pickups but they are too much better than mostly I have seen in guitars in the same range. If you don't want to replace pickups immediately, you really don't need to. Bridge pickup is bright and neck is warm. Exactly what you expect from a Les Paul.

Overall Impression — 9
I think that a good guitar is as good as its basic platform (and it is specially true for cheapos). And for "platform" I am referring to its construction and quality of body/neck. This guitar has lots of it, and it quickly replaced my Epiphone in the first position of my preference (I have four guitars - SG, LP, Strat, ES-175). Less than a half hour after to pick it from the box, I had decided that it deserved upgrades. So I replaced the crap tuners by a Grover Deluxe Vintage set and the nut by a Tusq. Then the electronics was completely redone: Switchcraft toggle, a pair of Dragonfire Screamers, Alpha pots including push-pulls to tap pups coils and Russian PIO capacitors. She has turned into a devil! Some will say that it is kind of the thing that doesn't make sense, and that's better to save for a better guitar than spend cash in a cheap one. I disagree. Summing the price of the guitar plus the upgrades, it is still cheaper than an Epiphone Standard. And in my opinion, it way became better than an Epi Standard, and as a bonus it is a Custom. The fact is that even saving money for a "better guitar", you will want to upgrade it because even the "better guitar" (unless you buy a hi-end guitar) still will come with crap electronics and stock pickups that won't make your day. After all the upgrades, I will give this guitar a 9. But I really would like to give it a 10! Exagerated.

Reliability & Durability — 8
I am not a gig guy, but I think that it would surely survive to live playing without any backup. As mentioned before, the tuning machines are crap, but all the rest (bridge, etc) look good and strong. It seems to be made to last since you have the minimum of care. Important to mention that the toggle switch stopped to work properly right in the first time I plugged it into my amp. MUST to replace it.

Action, Fit & Finish — 8
It played very well right out of the box. Just a quick retuning and it was ready. Decent action, comfortable neck, no fret buzz, almost correct intonation. *Scarily long sustain* - it humiliated my Epiphone G-400. AS mentioned before, the finishing is very good. Not perfect, has some minor flaws that you won't see unless you get very close to the guitar.

Features — 8
This is a brand new Les Paul copy, issued in 2010 and made in China. It has all the features of a Les Paul except by the fact that it has a bolt-on neck instead a set-in. I was after a Les Paul as I was lacking its shape in my small guitar collection but I didn't want to spend too much, so I decided for a cheapo. This one has a Custom style with binding around all over the body and neck, and block squared inlays including in the first fret. Very well finished. Thumbs down for the tuning machines that are total crap. Also, as expected for mostly of lo/middle-end guitars the nut and the electronics are very low quality and should be replaced. However, I will give it a "8" because the exceptional platform. The neck and body have an excellent design and workmanship, making the guitar a superb instrument. Although I am a 25+ years player, I am not a great player. Just an enthusiast, but I know how to differentiate a crap from good stuff. And this guitar definitively is NOT a crap, regardless its low price.

15 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Infected010
    MelvilleStudios wrote: Let's face facts here ... for tone, quality hardware and overall workmanship there's nothing like the real thing. Spend some real money and get a real guitar!
    Well not everyone of us has a pot of gold in the pocket just waiting to be spent
    DeadlyKombat
    rv_phoenix wrote: Yes, but a player knows that the real thing costs so much because it's the real thing in all respects. A player would save money until he can afford the real thing. And will never rate an 8 a crappy Chinese copy only because he didn't manage to save enough money yet. C'mon, pal, a brilliant Ibanez Prestige RG 2560 EZ Limited Edition is only 1300 euros. It's not a fortune. It's not like plastic surgery. Once you put your hands on it, you'll undestand it's not expensive. Because it isn't only 4 times better than my dear Vintage V 100: it's 10 times better. It's pure heaven.
    Real players are poor. It's an infinite paradox.
    rv_phoenix
    Oh, Lord, another Chinese crappy copy!... An 8 for "Features", after admitting that "the nut and the electronics are very low quality and should be replaced"? How much should we rate for features a gutar with quality electronics, which shouldn't be replaced? Let's not pretend we don't know the truth. A 280 USD guitar canot beat a true guitar. Do you think an Ibanez Prestige costs 1500 dollars just because of the logo?
    MelvilleStudios
    Let's face facts here ... for tone, quality hardware and overall workmanship there's nothing like the real thing. Spend some real money and get a real guitar!
    rv_phoenix
    One more thing: there are quite a few makes that, for a little more money (that's about 275-300 euros) offer you a real guitar: Vintage, Tanglewood, Agile (reportedly). If you're lucky enough to find a promotion or a discount somewhere, you can get even an Ibanez S or RG for 300 euros. None of these guitars is an Ibanez Prestige, yet you don't have to replace the nut (!!!), the volume and tone pots or the wiring in order to play o it. And if you do it, you do it in order to upgrade an already good guitar. If I'd replace the pups (Wilkinson Platinum) my dear Vintage V 100 came with by some Wilkinson Pro Series or DiMarzios, which I'll do somewhere in the future, you get a blast that rivals to any original Gibson LP in all respects, not just a guitar that sounds OK and plays OK. That's the difference between value for money and sheer Chinese crap. Like this guitar reviewed here.
    motorheadgtx71
    I purchased the CLP-80 this guitar is nice . Neck is the same feel as the les Paul there is no fret noise . I play this guitar very hard and it stays in tune . Avg price on the CLP -80 is 350 dollars . This guitar is worth the money . I own 7 guitars and this CLP80 gets played as much as my Charvel to my Strat . Don't be agreed to try the CLP-80
    rv_phoenix
    Yes, but a player knows that the real thing costs so much because it's the real thing in all respects. A player would save money until he can afford the real thing. And will never rate an 8 a crappy Chinese copy only because he didn't manage to save enough money yet. C'mon, pal, a brilliant Ibanez Prestige RG 2560 EZ Limited Edition is only 1300 euros. It's not a fortune. It's not like plastic surgery. Once you put your hands on it, you'll undestand it's not expensive. Because it isn't only 4 times better than my dear Vintage V 100: it's 10 times better. It's pure heaven.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    hey as long as u have a pot to p!ss in u could take out a loan think outside the box this is a pos might sound decent because u r playing through a vox lol but the build and playability prob suck necks on these r garbage.
    TheBigDirty716
    I'm sorry buddy, this is horrible review. You basically just vomited the specs onto the page and said "oh yea this is great!" You're telling me a guitar that's supposed to mimic a les paul and has a bolt on neck has a "great platform". Please dont ever write another review
    Miyagi84
    rv_phoenix wrote: One more thing: there are quite a few makes that, for a little more money (that's about 275-300 euros) offer you a real guitar: Vintage, Tanglewood, Agile (reportedly). If you're lucky enough to find a promotion or a discount somewhere, you can get even an Ibanez S or RG for 300 euros. None of these guitars is an Ibanez Prestige, yet you don't have to replace the nut (!!!), the volume and tone pots or the wiring in order to play o it. And if you do it, you do it in order to upgrade an already good guitar. If I'd replace the pups (Wilkinson Platinum) my dear Vintage V 100 came with by some Wilkinson Pro Series or DiMarzios, which I'll do somewhere in the future, you get a blast that rivals to any original Gibson LP in all respects, not just a guitar that sounds OK and plays OK. That's the difference between value for money and sheer Chinese crap. Like this guitar reviewed here.
    I agree with you 100 %. I played a Vintage V100 about 6 months or so ago at a guitar shop... let me tell you those guitars sound amazing. It feels and sounds like a Les Paul,got the same weight, set neck, beautiful finish as well and only its about 3500 dollars cheaper. Granted, its not an actual Les Paul, but I have bills to pay I'm not going to fork over close to 4 grand for a guitar. I'd even go as far as to say that the V100's sound much better than any Epiphone LP Gibson has. I played a Les Paul Special that cost more than 3 grand and it didn't sound so demonstrably better than the V100 (even though I know the LP IS better, its just that for 3 grand its wasn't so much better than the Vintage guitar... I expected it to knock my socks off which it didn't). I'd also like to say don't buy a POS Chinese guitar... really save your money for a few months and get a real guitar.
    realpunktoo
    I bought this same guitar well over a year ago and ive been playing for 5 years and ive played gibsons epihones fenders ibanez and more and i must say when i sat down and played this guitar at my local music store i was impressed by the sound and tone and the over all quality and build of the guitar all im saying is just because the guitar is cheap and made in china it was designed in the states and hand built at that. So with that being said i think the guitar plays well not a gibson but still a good guitar that i enjoy daily.
    Falco_7th
    Another useless review and a tremendous waste of f+++in' money... burn it and get a serious one...
    JoePerry4life
    Jackie Lawless wrote: ive got dragonfire screamers.... they sound muddy as ****.
    Then your doing it wrong. I have a set too, they are anything but muddy imo. My blackouts are muddier actually. Nice honest review btw, I enjoyed it.
    JoePerry4life
    rv_phoenix wrote: Oh, Lord, another Chinese crappy copy!... An 8 for "Features", after admitting that "the nut and the electronics are very low quality and should be replaced"? How much should we rate for features a gutar with quality electronics, which shouldn't be replaced? Let's not pretend we don't know the truth. A 280 USD guitar canot beat a true guitar. Do you think an Ibanez Prestige costs 1500 dollars just because of the logo?
    If you've read the rest of the review, he stated that its pretty much the same electronics you would get in most guitars until you get to the higher priced guitars like the Ibanez prestige series. He is right though, until you spend like 800+ on a guitar, they usually come with generic dime sized pots, no name ceramic caps, weak stock pickups etc.