ELPC400 review by SVK

SVK: ELPC400

Purchased from: Dixie Pawn

I'm a huge fan of pop-punk, so that's where the majority of my playing goes. I also play a lot of 60's/70's rock, or just play around with scales, trying my best to improve. Being a Les Paul, it can pretty much do anything, although metal is a stretch without the right distortion or overdrive. I couldn't expect any more tone-wise. I'm very pleased. The treble selection gives me the the sharp leads I need, and the rhythm selection has a thick powerful tone that is great for solo's (I haven no idea what most people use what pickup for what. This is how I use them, and it works for me). Works well for all time low, Mayday Parade, Led Zeppelin, we the kings, and any classic rock band. I have trouble with those warm clean tones, but that is more an issue with the rest of the rig, and not the guitar.

For punk or rock, you couldn't beat this guitar without spending $1000+. It does a satisfactory job for anything else, but for example, if you plan on playing any form of death metal, you should go for EMG's. I've been playing for about 3.5 years. Up until now, I've only owned strats, however I've played a wide variety of other guitars at friends houses and stores. It's on par with lower level Gibsons, at a fraction of the cost. If it were lost or stolen, I don't know what I would do. They're hard to find. There are a few on eBay, but they aren't shaped right. I can't speak for the other guitars they have made, but they did an outstanding job on this one. I love my guitar.

This will without doubt, survive live playing. It's very sturdy, and is probably safe for those who like to throw their guitars around while playing. I will probably upgrade the tuners down the road, but again, I am keeping this guitar for a very long time. I went with a DiMarzio cliplock strap right off the bat (works great). I have no reason to have a back up guitar, other than keeping one in a different tuning. And if I could ever find another one of these, it would be my backup. To my disliking, the finish is glossy, and durable. I prefer the worn in look, but it's going to take me awhile to get there on this.

I haven't had to adjust a single thing since I got it. It was used, so it may have been set up before I bought it. Every part of this guitar was very well crafted. I'm still not sure how this was made in China. I've seen American guitars with worse construction. When I bought the guitar it was in mint condition. The quality of wood isn't excellent, but it is still good.

I found this SVK at a local pawn shop, and pretty much fell in love with it. I'm not sure on the year. It was made in china, but you would never know it. There are 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard, with very nicely rounded fret wires. Three piece mahogany body, mahogany set neck, and carved maple top. Binding on the top and neck. It's a very well done amber burst, with a glossy finish. All of the hardware and controls follow the basic Les Paul layout.

knt6979
    yeah some people in america think gibson is the top yeah in price and they are just stealing your money when humdreds of companys with same wood same paint same trimmings and windings on the alincos and electronics....just import make and we here think there is a big difference...ok we will nod are heads..you keep thinking that and keep getting ripped off ... can you ignorance...most people today are living in imported goods today and dont know it and if your a hypocrite and have a cell phone LG SMASUNG AND ABOUT 80 PERCENT OF THE MARKET IN ELECTRONICS OR COMMUNICATIONS YOUR A FOOL IF YOU THINK ITS less inferior when you your self own one and if you own a import car more so your a fool...so keep buying just us made products and live like bubba and bobby sue and margaret form the 1900s when the whole world moves into the future with brands you think are inferior...even your pants your shirts your furniture are made overseas...so build your own and be happy and stop judging like jesus said ...because you never know the day and hour when you will face your maker and be judge yourself...generation future....
    ToxicTrace100
    rv_phoenix wrote: It's a good thing it has the right wood. If it's also well crafted (our reviewers aren't experienced enough to measure the distances between frets, angles etc.), it can be modded. I bet pickups are mediocre and the electronics terribly cheap, as in any Chinese budget axe. They will need to be replaced in a couple of months. To ToxicTrace100: Dear fellow, if you really preferred this cheap Chinese axe over a Gibson Les Paul, I'm afraid you have to visit a physician to check your hearing! The guys at the music shop were just a bunch of salesmen who wanted to sell a cheap axe, but you actually believed them.
    Bro, the only thing that separates a Gibson from another guitar is the price tag and the mystique that we musicians place around it.
    ToxicTrace100
    Broseph, Just because I didn't measure the frets doesnt mean I can't tell shit from decency. This guitar was made in the same factories as Esp's ltd line, and the bolt on models from this line share the same body shape as the EC line. This is a well made guitar, and this whole thing about gibson being the best is just an elitist thing that sprung up because they sounded better for hard rock versus the only other major competition Gibson had in the 60s and 70s; Fender. I find this especially strange, since it's well documented that Gibson has gone through multiple long stretches where their quality control and pretty much everything else kinda sucks. People bitch nowadays because there's a lot of variety on the market and some old stuff get ignored for cheaper product. The elitism of viewing older things in a better light is useless now, especially because you can get the same damn thing for less than half the damn price. Not happy with it? Buy the damn pickups from the gibson model like I did, even though it'll hit you for at least 300 dollars, at which point you could have bought another guitar, or been at least halfway to a good one. Gibsons are getting outdated. The necks are fat, this is not because it feels better, but a holdover from when machinery was less precise. The tuners are less precise, once again a holdover, and all that shit is handmade, once again a holdover. They spend so much time making everything 'true' to the originals they drive up the price like crazy and ignore things that could make their instruments better, such as putting a reinforced area behind the nuts on their guitars to prevent neck snap, something most companies do now. For the price you pay for a gibson, you don't get a hell of a lot of dollar value, but you do pay out the ass for that name on the headstock. To back up my point, some of the most famous albums were recorded with gibson copies, such as Van Halen one and Appetite for Destruction.
    stevenwmartin
    To all the people who are debating the quality of SVK guitars, you only have to do a little research into who created the line. The guy who created SVK guitars is a guy with stellar industry qualifications as a "luthier to the stars" and has created lines for ESP and Ibanez. This is no "fly by night" operation. He knows his stuff, and his insistence on quality control shows in each of his instruments. BTW, his name is James Donahue. Look him up. ( http://on.fb.me/1uJCPt6 ) I own two of his guitars. They are indeed made with quality components and both came set up to perfection. (and I have been working on guitars for 30 years and currently own Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez). One can always argue Gibson/Fender vs. SVK till the cows come home, but in the end it is about whether or not the guitar is well made and if it represents a value for money paid. I have personally seen a few Gibsons that I would not pay $500 for. These SVK instruments represent a monsterous value! All detractors need to hunt some down, plug in and find out for yourself. If you can do that, with your prejudices put aside, you will be delighted by what you discover - a world class instrument that can be purchased for the price of a beginners guitar. I think Jim Donahue deserves a huge amount of respect and admiration for making these guitars available at a price anyone can afford. I for one think of mine as luthier-built custom guitars that I am proud to own!
    rv_phoenix
    It's a good thing it has the right wood. If it's also well crafted (our reviewers aren't experienced enough to measure the distances between frets, angles etc.), it can be modded. I bet pickups are mediocre and the electronics terribly cheap, as in any Chinese budget axe. They will need to be replaced in a couple of months. To ToxicTrace100 : Dear fellow, if you really preferred this cheap Chinese axe over a Gibson Les Paul, I'm afraid you have to visit a physician to check your hearing! The guys at the music shop were just a bunch of salesmen who wanted to sell a cheap axe, but you actually believed them.