Classic II Review

manufacturer: Swing date: 09/12/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Swing: Classic II
 7.5
 6.9
 2,167
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Classic II Reviewed by: qoodrink347, on september 12, 2012

Purchased from: Singapore

Features: - Body: Mahogany + 20mm Maple + Laminate - Neck: Mahogany - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Radius: 305 mm (12 inches) - Number of Frets: 22 - Fret Size: Medium Jumbo (2.7 mm) - Scale Length: 629 mm (24.75 inches) - Nut Width: 42 mm - Hardware Color: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic, Stoptail - Pickups: SWING Dual Classic Std. set - Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-way selector - Position 1: Bridge - Position 2: Bridge+Middle - Position 3: Neck - Colors: 2-tone Sunburst, Amber, Black // 9

Sound: I play quite a variety of genres ranging from rock and metal to some jazz and blues, so I can safely say I utilized both pickups on this baby to make a sound review. I am using a Kustom KGA 65 amp for the record. The pickups are in-house SWING DualClassic (Humbucker) covered pickups and I absolutely LOVE the neck/rhythm pickup. Played with max volume and tone it sounds super rich and smooth for those jazzy riffs, and played with the tone knob on a lower setting combined with distortion, you can create a fuzzy tone for some blues licks. The bridge/treble pickup gets the job done when I need some grit for punk rock riffs but that's really about it. Nothing fantastic about the treble pickup. My favorite setting would be using both pickups, as I can achieve all kinds of tones with this guitar by experimenting with settings on my amp and the 4 knobs. From punk rock to old school rock to metal to jazz, this guitar's got you covered. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Classic II comes in Black, Amber, Cherry sunburst and Vintage sunburst. I got mine in full gloss black, and I fell in love with the finish when I saw it at the store. There were no scratches or misaligned bracing or loose controls or whatever the UG review guide is prompting me to review - It was perfect to me off the shelf. The fretboard was really standard with trapezoid inlays, and the action was really low when I tried it. In fact it was too low and the top string would buzz even when played opened so I had to alter the action. Besides that there were no workmanship flaws and with a tune-o-matic bridge and Grover tuning pegs I was really happy with my purchase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is the section which reveals the flaws of this seemingly perfect guitar. I have not played it live but I have jammed with it quite a lot, and I get excited when jamming (who doesn't right?), and during one of my jam sessions I got a little clumsy and knocked my guitar at the head (LIGHTLY). I expected a scratch but to my horror, a small bit of it chipped off to reveal the raw brown wood underneath. Mutilating the beautiful full body of black gloss. It pained me so much I take so much care of it when playing now its ridiculous. The Classic II also comes with a pickguard, and I thought it would look better without it, so I went ahead to remove it. Who'd knew glaring scratches were underneath the pickguard, which was weird since every other part of the body was in pristine condition. After playing for a couple of months the wear and tear on the fretboard is becoming very evident, with patches appearing on areas I play more. Worst of all my treble pickups stopped working after about 6 months and I had to send it back to the shop for repairs. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this guitar very much even with the pickup failure. If it were stolen/lost I would but it again and get another color. What other guitar can you get for $530 with grover tuners, nubone nut technology and pickups to really recreate the sounds of a Traditional Les Paul and much more? If you can deal with the weight of a typical les paul, which seems to be the main gripe of most, there is really nothing to hate about this guitar. // 8

Comments