Hawk RN QMD RDS review by SX

SX: Hawk RN QMD RDS

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

For the pick-ups, for what I play, the bridge pick-up is kind of weak. The middle pick-up is level with the pick-guard because it got in my way when I pick the strings, but it definitely sounds good. The neck pick-up is raised to the height of the neck and put on a clean channel, it sounds amazing. I have only plans to change the bridge pick-up so it suits my style a little more. With what I play it through is a Behringer v-amp floor pedal into a small practice amp and it does sound good! Even with through my Dad's Marshall JCM2000 it sounds good as long as it's not overly distorted. I enjoy playing a lot of Pink Floyd songs through this. It's a little bit of a noisy guitar and at high gains it feedbacks horribly. So it had the quality of being a way better sounding guitar, it's just that I'd suggest getting a new bridge pick-up for it.

For what I play, (Generally classic rock, hard rock, grudge, alternative and metal) this guitar would do a lot better with a new bridge pick-up. Even though I still have the factory pick-up still in it, it does work for the mean time. I've been playing for about 4 and a half years and this guitar is definately the best, cheapest guitar I've played. I kinda knew what to expect of it, because I did some extensive research on SX guitars. So when I got this guitar, I wasn't surprised by it very much, but the neck was an exception. If this guitar was stolen, I'd definately replace it for sure. The one thing I love about it, is how it plays. For $120 US dollars, this guitar plays better than some $200 dollar guitars I've played. The only thing I would do for this guitar is new tuners and a new pick-up. It was a shot in the dark for me to buy this guitar, because I didn't get to personally play it, or any other guitars from SX. That's what happens sometimes when you buy from the internet. I give it a 9 because you just can't find a better guitar for the price. Hope the review helped and I would suggest this guitar to anybody who is looking for a new guitar with a really tight budget.

I've had this guitar for about a month now and I play/ practice quiet ofter and I haven't got a chance to really play out with it, but I think it could survive a night no problem. The Hardware, even though it's cheap, I could last. I'm not a very violent player (Jumping around and what not) and I've never had a problem with it ever since I adjusted some things on it and put new strings on the guitar. That really seemed to do some justice. It could depend on this guitar without a back-up for a gig, but I would choose not to, because I don't know what to fully expect of this guitar. It's better than any Squire Strat i've ever played at this price range. The finish seems like it would last. It has a pretty good finish but scratchs will definately appear from strumming. I give it an 8 mostly because I don't think I could really use this guitar without a back up. It's a good guitar, but I don't get that 'solid' feeling I get with my Old Ibanez RG550.

The action was slightly high for me, so I had to lower it when I put on some .010s on it. I had to adjust the intonation like I said, adjusted the pick-ups to get some more responce from them. When I got the guitar, one of the tuners we're a little varnished at the top of it, but it doesn't bother me to much, because I plan to slap some grover tuners on them. I also plan to get a new nut for the guitar, mostly because when I put .010s on it, I saw how easily it started to wear down. Other than that, this guitar is pretty good for the price.

Hands down, this is a beautiful guitar for the price of it. It has 21 frets and the maple neck is just like a Fender to me. It has a Laminated red quilted top. The body is made from alder and you can tell it by how it sounds. The body style is very much so of a Strat. Has a Fender style tremolo. I've adjusted a lot with this guitar so far. I've raised the pick-ups closer to the strings, just to get more of a response from them. From the factory, it comes with D'addarios .009 on it and I slapped on some .010s on it, adjusted the intonation and the action on it. I've blocked the bridge, not that I had a problem with it, but when I did use it, I had to loosen up the screws so it was easier to move the tremolo. I wanted a guitar that I could drop tune easily, so I just ultimately blocked the bridge. You get a volume knob, 2 tone knobs, 5-way selector switch; Standard Strat stuff. The tuners are kind of junky, but they're okay for the price. It does like to go out of tune now and then, that's what to expect from cheap tuners. Good guitar for the price! It also comes with Allen wrench tools, so that's helpful.

BrokenDstring
    The world should follow Rondo's lead. With the economy is the good ol USA as it is I don't get why its either black or white with the big names (Fender and Gibson mainly). You can go to Guitar Center etc and walk out with a Squier or totally tuin your credit and get the quality that the big names are supposed to represent. I have a guitar from Rondo on the way after seeing 95% positive reviews and playing a friends SX Strat. These are the best guitars you can find under $300, and after a few tweaks to personal satisfaction, you've got yourself a real beautiful guitar that does the job sonically as well. Great review mate!
    bass.desires
    Picked this one up for my Dad last week and it is a good guitar. Nothing super nice or junk. I own guitars ranging from $80 to $2000 and no matter who says what, if it doesn't feel good in your hands, it's not worth owning. Pickups can be changed and strings swapped, but if it feels right and plays right, that is when the music comes.
    Anthony1991
    S.F.C
    Because they are good for the price. Let's just say that it could have worse tuners.
    Paulbookwood
    I've been looking at the stop tail version for a knockaround guitar that I can use for high risk situations. It looks like a sweet deal. Of course I'll have to tweak it, but I've never owned an electric guitar that didn't need a few mods. I think the SX is basically a sound guitar but I would advise newer players to get some help setting it up right. Experience can make a huge difference!
    TheRealestMSA
    These SX guitars are way better bang for the buck in my opinion than pretty much anything out there. I've played one of these Hawks, and it was great. My main gigging guitar is an SX Liquid. I've had it for about a year now, probably put well over 100 hours of gig time on it, and it's held up great. I'm running stock tuners and pickups, just added roller string trees.
    ranbat
    I had the SST version a few years ago. I didn't much care for the electronics, so I bought a Mighty Mite pre-wired pickguard with humbucker and dropped it in. I did have to do some routing for it to fit properly though. It was definitely routed for a single coil in the bridge. I gigged and recorded with it after the upgrade.
    JoePerry4life
    I love guitars from rondo music. Just because the price is low doesn't mean its a beginners guitar.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    it's actually a good guitar, but i'd change the bridge, the nutt and the tuners. hardware on cheap guitars is , umm well cheap. pup's are OK but put in som SD-s and it will be great
    S.F.C
    richard_edwards wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Yay, another less-than-100 starter axe.. you'd think there'd be enough of these in the world, but oh well.. Oh, don't be so elitist. Cheap guitars make the world go round, they are cheap thrills, a blank canvas, a modders dream! If this body really is alder (and I bet it is, rondomusic are awesome), it'll mod brilliantly. I reckon some Texas Specials in there and you're laughing.
    Yes it is actually real Alder. I thought the first thing when I bought this guitar was that it was going to be a fantastic guitar to mod. Just when I adjusted the action and everything, it made a world of a diffrence for how well the guitar played. I'm really excited to get a new pick-up in this guy...Maybe some new pots and tuners, but I'm willing to ride those out for a little while longer.
    customisbetter
    I agree That SX guitars are great pieces of wood. A pickup upgrade and a set of tuners. MIM quality. And yes all of you 13 year old trollers, i speak from experience.
    richard_edwards
    EpiExplorer
    Anthony1991 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Yay, another less-than-100 starter axe.. you'd think there'd be enough of these in the world, but oh well.. Why do you bother posting in the review section if all your posts are always this negative and worthless? There will always be more beginners, its a wide section of the market that companies are desperate to fill. And occasionally, some good ones are made that are worth having
    Someone has to be the naysayer, and no one bothers in the reviews. or the comments. Believe me, the number of times I've thought to say something to someone and they've done something so utterly stupid and not bothered to consult anyone first.. is just rediculous. So, would you rather have EVERY beginner read this review and say 'WOW, EPIC AXE LOLOL' to themselves, only to find out its actually more worthless than what you think my comments are?
    EpiExplorer