SEG STD review by SX

SX: SEG STD

Purchased from: eBay

I play a variety of music, typically I play progressive or Indie rock (Moneen, Dredge, Glassjaw). This guitar fits the styl well enough. In my expierence, I have bee able to make most guitars work for any style. This guitar works really well with heavier music, but that is to do with the look, and the playability more. I have ran this guitar through 3 set ups all of which sound really good. My main set up is a Line-6 Uber Metal and Ibanez Tube Screamer through a Rocktron Velocity 1X12. It is clear and pules through with out being over bearing. It is very clean and not noisey at all. My biggest complant is the bridge pickup is a little flat sounding (but then again I usually play semi-hollows). It is to be expected.

Overall, I think I am gonna get another SX guitar through Rondo Music, they have throughly impressed me. If this guitar was lost I would proably get a new one I think it is a good completment to my other intstruments. Also, I compared this guitar to a JS and and RG Ibanez. I found it very similar to the RG and superior to the 1500 JS. This sounded better and played way better then the JS. So if you are looking for good guitar for a cheap price get this one, it is the most expensive of the SEG series and I think it is totally worth it.

I think this is a solid guitar. I have had some small issues with tuning, although it has been better then my $500 Epi Les Paul. I always, and I mean always, gig with 2 guitars. But to be honest I don't think I would need it. I replaced the strap buttons with Schaller strap locks, but that is a must for ever guitar. The one spot where durability lacks is the finish on the back, I noticed that even a slight touch with plastic has scratched it. Finish on the back of a 170.00 guitar is a non concern for me.

I was really surprised. With the amount that I paid, I expected a lot of work. For the most part the guitar came set up with a low action (I lowered it a tad to see how far I could take it but it wasn't much). Pickups were in the right postion and the intonation was dead on! At first I though I might have to shim the neck just a tad as it was at a very slight angle but for the most part it has been fine and has actually worked out. Clearly there was some work that went into it before I recevied it.

I don't know what year this was made but it was made in China. It has 24 Jumbo Frets on a rosewood and maple neck. The body is made of agathis with flammed maple on top. The bosy is very similar to the RG Ibanezes. The finish is a red wine, almost purple. The hardware is all chrome, non-locking stock tuners and a single-locking Floyd Rose tremelo. Typicall dual passive humbuckers with three way selector and 1 tone 1 volume.

Ali-b912
    SX are really good for the price. plus they do alot of models that most brands dont bother with. i saw a 60's style SX j-bass with the metal covers and a really cool black strat with a cobra inlay. i wanna buy it, but i dont think it would handle metal very well due to the single coils. looks sick still.
    teknotard
    kai2demax wrote: Never Buy SX. they absolutely suck!!
    Like I said, I was skeptical when I bought mine, but i figured 170 is nothing to drop on a guitar. I have been very pleased with it's performance. It holds tune great, it plays very fast, it feels good and it sounds great with a little bit of tone shapping (but what guitar doesn't need that).
    stiiii
    when I started playing the guitar I tought the same thing about my stagg
    Sam_L
    teknotard
    Sam_L wrote: SX are damn good for the money, maybe buy in a few replacements such as the bridge or pups, then they're great, and still cheaper than the majority of big brand names out there.
    The tuners could be replaced for those who would depend on them (although the fine tuners for the floyd rose are fine). I actually like the bridge. I know that thy single locking Floyd rose is the the lower quality one, but it is nice to be able to just pop the strings in, and considering it holds tune well then there is no problem.
    baracuda2004
    teknotard
    baracuda2004 wrote: I bought 2 sx's and realized that while it is an "OK" guitar for the money. Even when upgrades my EBMM sounds and always will sound better then any amount of upgrades on an SX. Save your money and just buy a high(er)-end instrument. You'll be happier in the long run.
    That is true the SX will never be a Music Man.. But to be fair we are talking 7-8 times the price. It just isnt realistic for the player on a budget. But Like I said I compared this guitar to an 1500 JS Ibanez and there was far better playabilty in the SX. Which SX's did you get? Becasue really mine has been phenomnal, especially for 170
    Link.JohnIrving
    teknotard
    Link.JohnIrving wrote: I have the SX SEG, the $120 one. It feels like a toy. I'm very disappointed. my SX jazz bass, however, is just fine. Seriously though, this review is just wrong. The SEG feels like a childs toy.
    I felt that mine was very comparable to the RG ibanezes. Not at all toyish, but then again you have the loewest model with the floyd rose. So maybe its the better neck, body, and electronics.
    ZaÐ
    kai2demax wrote: Never Buy SX. they absolutely suck!!
    I m sure you have tried all SX models before saying this,right? :O tsk