SEG STD review by SX

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
SX: SEG STD

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

I play mostly rock and hardcore/metalcore (Metallica, Nickelback, Bullet for My Vaentine, and Avenged 7x), and this gutar suits this style quite well. It will sound much better through a decent amp, however. The tone and volume knobs are very responsive, and one can get a clean sound even on a distorted amp channel by adjusting the tone. The humbucker pickups give a good metal/rock sound with not too much buzz on distorted and they give a nice, bright sound on clean. Chords, however, do tend to get a bit muddy with distortion.

This was my first guitar and it was a good guitar to learn on. It fits the style of music I play (rock and hardcore) very well. However, if I knew the setup (mainly the action) was going to be this bad, I would have chose something else. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I probably would buy something else. Although this looks good with the flame maple top and Floyd Rose, the things that really count, such as action and setup, aren't that great. If your a beginner looking for a first guitar, I would recommend saving a little more and buying an Epiphone or an Agile. However, for someone that knows how to setup guitars and is just looking for something with a lot of features to mess around with, this is the one for you.

I definately wouldn't use this guitar in a gig without a backup. It might be able to withstand Live playing, but I wouldn't trust it by itself. The hardware does actually seem good for the price. The Floyd Rose seems to be built out of decent enough metal to hold up and the strap buttons seem to be solid. The finish, however is almost as bad as the setup. I am not hard on my guitars and try to transport them carefully, but somehow this guitar already has 2 chips in the body wood and a large scratch on the back. I haven't dropped it at all and haven't hit it on anything hard enough that it should cause the wood to chip, but what do you expect? This is a cheap guitar and it does have a nice finish out of the box. Just be very careful with it.

This is where this guitar is lacking. The setup at the factory was, to say the least, horrible. The action was very high out of the box. In fact, after playing my Epiphone Les Paul then going back to the SX, the action feels at least twice as high on the SX than on the Les Paul, and it doesn't end there. Starting at about the 7th or 8th fret on the E, A, and D strings, there is horrible fret buzz. I tried fixing this by adjusting the truss rod and even raising the action even more, but the buzz is still there. It turns out that the neck badly needs to be shimmed. On top of that, the guitar was not in tune out of the box and the Floyd Rose was set up horribly. In the back cavity of the guitar, there was only one spring on one side of the Floyd holding it to the guitar body, causing it to be very lopsided. The only good thing I can say about this guitar is that it stays in tune very well once you get everything set up correctly.

The SX SEG STD has a neck with 24 jumbo frets and an Ibanez RG shaped body with a flame maple top. The body is a deep wine red color, and for the price, looks very good in my opinion. It has 2 humbuckers, a 3 way selector swtch, and 1 volume and 1 tone knob. The bridge is a LISCENSD Floyd Rose, so it isn't as good as an original, but still stays in tune quite well and is good for a beginner. It came in a plain brown box that had "SX" on it and contained the guitar and 3 allen wrenches.

jimku
    When my new black SX EG5 got here I was impressed. I have been playing for over 40 years and own some high-end guitars, so impressing me isn't easy. For the paltry price I paid for it, it was right in there with an EPI Dot quality-wise, and that impressed me. It's a very nice looking guitar I will be proud to play anywhere. The neck is perfect and I love the jumbo frets, and I play with a pretty low action ... no problem. The pickups were "OK" but nothing to write home about. I replaced the pickups with a set of GFS Classic Alnico II pickups with chrome covers for a whole $80.00 and the difference was night and day ... it now sounds virtually identical to my Carvin SC90 with Gibson '57 Classics in it, and tone-wise I will put it up against any ES335 on the planet. The tuners are just fine, feel solid, look good and stay in tune. The bridge and tailpiece are also just fine. The pots feel solid and are not scratchy. The finish is just fine. The only nit I had with it was that they did not use tapered pickup rings so the tops of the pickups were not parallel to the strings. I cured that for a whole $5.00 with a set of tapered curved-bottom rings from Allparts. I now have a very nice looking, very serviceable, very nice sounding "ES335" that I would gig with anywhere. For the paltry price, I cannot recommend an SX EG5 highly enough!
    jimku
    P.S. The price of my SX EG5 also included a hard shell case. I was expecting some sort of cheap cardboard affair, but the case it came in is a VERY nice, very sturdy case! Once again, I am impressed!
    jimku
    I just ordered a SX EG5 STD black ES335 knockoff from Rondo Music for a whole $217.00 including case and shipping. It won't be here for a full week yet. I have been playing for over 40 years, own 8 electric guitars, play primarily blues, and belong to a blues aficionado forum with over 5,000 members. Many of those members are on very tight budgets. I am hoping this guitar will prove to be actually a satisfying blues ax for the small price so I can offer it as an option for those members. Can anyone give me a yes or no answer to that question?
    supastratassin
    teknotard wrote: baracuda2004 wrote: I bought 2 sx's and realized that while it is an "OK" guitar for the money. Even when upgrades my EBMM sounds and always will sound better then any amount of upgrades on an SX. Save your money and just buy a high(er)-end instrument. You'll be happier in the long run. That is true the SX will never be a Music Man.. But to be fair we are talking 7-8 times the price. It just isnt realistic for the player on a budget. But Like I said I compared this guitar to an 1500 JS Ibanez and there was far better playabilty in the SX. Which SX's did you get? Becasue really mine has been phenomnal, especially for 170
    supastratassin
    Link.JohnIrving wrote: I have the SX SEG, the $120 one. It feels like a toy. I'm very disappointed. my SX jazz bass, however, is just fine. Seriously though, this review is just wrong. The SEG feels like a childs toy.
    not to me i like it all guitars are cnc cut and if the wood is real center joined or not thats what it takes to start great tone!what feels good to you may feel like crap to some on else!im self taught!and i have played lots of guitars.well whats out there for lefties.and i would trade my new unplayed from the factory !epiphone sg w?hang tags for an sx standard plus top!cause i like the feel!sg necks are weighted i like the even balance this guitar has!the volume and tone pots 2!!r awsome!any lefies wanna trade!let me know!i hate when guitarist crap on import instuments!take a look at ur car..no ur cell phone...no ur clothes on ur back! maby not well if they can make awsome car,cell phones and cpus!y not guitars!its all cnc machines!get real!!!!guitars are like women and im not a bigot!! my sx is like an exchange student!who would turn away a fine china doll!!not me.
    gerfish
    I have an SX eg5.(semi-hollowbody) I have been playing for 15 years and have traveled the southeast performing. I play in front of people atleast once a week and I am proud to do so with my SX in tow. Before I purchased the SX I spent a good bit of time reading reviews. I found that many of the people dogging them didn't have much experience while the folks singing their praises had plenty. I wouldn't listen to anyone who says things about the setup etc. as any experienced player knows that doesn't take too much to improve. I particularly found this review helpful as it is from a professional with his own G&L signature model. "I was somewhat shocked by how good it sounded. I expected some weenie sounding pickups, but was treated instead to a full, rich sound that came darn close to real-deal P-90s. Impressive! In fact, when I sat on my deck & played through a Vox DA5 amp, I couldn't put it down! It was also agreeable with any amp I threw at it, including a Rivera Clubster 45 & Fender Blues Junior. My criteria for a new guitar is simply this: Could I actually play a gig with this guitar? The answer is yes, assuming it was a blues gig. This thing is a blues machine."
    ranbat
    kai2demax wrote: Never Buy SX. they absolutely suck!!
    The SX stuff is as good as any of their name brand counterparts. They're made from solid woods, have pretty much the same hardware as any lower priced guitar and comparable electronics. They are GREAT platforms for modding. As far as setup, I have had some that were great right out of the box and one or two that weren't. That said, I've come across the same issues with Squier, Epiphone and Ibanez.