SR-1 STD BK review by SX

SX: SR-1 STD BK

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com

I play Thrash Metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Early Metallica) and a lot of modern Metallica. I also play some Scorpions and Black Sabbath as well and this guitar suits these styles very well. It sounds great with a nice heavy distortion and it has great cleans. I run this through a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal(for solos) and a Morley Bad Horsie Wah pedal and into a Randall RG100 G3 Plus(better than original G3). I find that the pickups are a tad noisy when using the pups as single coils through distortion but the hbuckers by themselves are awesome. I can get pretty decent harmonics both natural and artificial/pinch. I live the Floyd bridge... its fun just to F**k around with it and make crazy noises.

This guitar suits my style of playing very well. I've been playing for about a year now but I've known guitars and amps for years(father and cousin play). I own an ESP LTD M-10, a cheap beginners guitar, an acoustic, and this guitar. My other gear is listed above. If it was lost or stolen I would buy another in a heartbeat.I love that it has 24 frets to hit high notes in solos, I love the HSH pups, and I love the Floyd Rose bridge and Ultra thin neck. The only flaw I've found is that it only locks in one place and not at the bridge. I compared it to several high end Ibanez guitars and this guitar is practically equal in all except the pickups and bridge.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing as long as you are comfortable with a Floyd Bridge. Hardware seems very durable and stable. The strap buttons are solid but I plan on changing them out for Straploks soon. I would never use it at a gig without a backup especially because of the floyd but I'd never not have a backup whe playing live. The finish is decent but it could have been a little better.

The guitar needed a professional setup because it has a Floyd bridge and they are a headache to someone not accustomed to setting up the bridge. The action is very comfortable. A little higher than I prefer but very nice nontheless. I so far haven't found any flaws whatsoever with the exception that the bridge tends to break low guauge strings at the ball end too easy. Its very comfortable and easy to play.

This guitar has many features that are great for playing metal and hard rock. It has a 24 fret maple bolt on neck with a rosewood fretboard and cream binding. The neck is very thin and flat comparable to an Ibanez Wizard neck. Neck has a smooth and comfortable satin finish. The body is a typical Strat shaped body similar to most Ibanez RG bodies. The body is solid Alder and is back routed (no pickguard) This guitar was available in 3 finishes. Black, White, or Red and I bought the black version. Pics are on my profile. The bridge is a Licensed Floyd Rose bridge That is only single locking meaning that you don't cut the ball ends off, just run the strings through the bridge and lock it off at the nut. My suggestion is to use the low 4 strings from a set of .09's and to use the 2 high strings from a set of .10's because the strings tend to snap if you pull up too far. Or replace the bridge with an original floyd rose(double locking) It comes with an HSH pickup configuration that is nice and loud. I plan on changing these out for EMG's or GuitarHeads MegaMetal humbuckers soon. It has one Volume knob and one Tone knob and a 5 way pickup selector switch. The tuners are SX brand tuners and are pretty decent but that doesnt matter because of the locking nut.

Hobo69
    I'm so tired of kids getting these cheap guitars, and in EVERY review its "oh nd whn i get teh moniez im gon put EMGs in it and an OFR". Thats a 400-500 dollar investment. Instead of doing that why dont you, I dont know, buy a GUITAR with that 400-500, and THEN dump all that money into it, so its not a total waste of cash.
    Glenn Guitar
    Kboth18
    Glenn Guitar wrote: You gave features an 8 when you use the vibrato with 9's and the strings break? Thats like, what, a 3 or 4? The only reason it sounds decent is cause you have a solid, well respected, reliable amp.
    I plan on changing out the bridge for an Original Floyd Rose and swapping out the Pickups for EMGs. Its an awesome guitar for a beginner. I mean come on, a 130 dollar guitar with floyd rose bridge, decent sounding pickups and a neck reminiscent of wizard necks? Its not the best sure but its awesome for anyone from a beginner to an intermediately skilled guitarist.
    krvolok
    Cheap guitar + locking system = money you will never see again.Save up and get a cheap to mid price guitar without a locking system!
    JoePerry4life
    ^Not really, I have the SX SR1 STD plus with a locking system and it works fine. It you can setup a floyd rose, it is usually pretty stable. Granted the knife edges may wear out easier though. But its not a bad guitar for the price. Better than anything else any real brands produce in that price range.
    19scotty70
    Listen to all the gearheads doggin this cat for his $130.00 guitar! Ive played professionally for 20 years and made a living off of $250.00 or $300.00 mexican strats. I cant tell the difference, maybe a little tone difference, between the mexican and the USA strats. So buy some USA pickups for a hundred bucks and slap them in. Its a shame that people suck so bad that they have to spend twice the amount on equipment to make them sound better. Thats money Floyd Rose. Theyre all hunks of metal with springs, I wish everyone would stop treating them like theyre machinists lathes. If you set them up right, they all stay in tune. Licensed or not!!
    19scotty70
    I meant to say Thats money youll never get back. Ive had $1500 guitars and $150.00 guitars. Theyre all hunks of wood.
    Semperfidelis23
    Okay, every damn reveiw up to the $2000 range I see the same freaking comment. " blah blah beginners guitar, blah blah blah, buy a real guitar, blah blah, your a noob." I used to play my squire strat($119) at gigs! They work fine! My old guitar teacher had 32 guitars, and the most exspensive one was a 50th anniversary Gibson flying V, that he got for $1500. All the others were from 200- 900 dollars. I held onto my squire for 2 years because it did what I needed. I also ran it through a $150 peavey vypyr, and it sounded fine, even at my high school talent show, which was in a gym. All that to say, don't write off cheap equipment, we don't all want les Paul customs that cost more then my car.