SST57 review by SX

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
SX: SST57

Purchased from: www.Rondomusic.com

The sound out of this guitar is rather nice. I play Mainly Jazz fusion, Blues, Classic rock, and some light Metal and this guitar can cover each one well. The sound is very bright, but the pick-ups are very weak. It's hard to get a decent pinch, natural, or artificial harmonic out of this guitar. They're mainly too muffled or "hollow" sounding. I play this through a Roland Cube 60 and normally leave reverb up a lot and with minimal chorus. The cleans on this guitar are phenomenal to me. You can get the airy or warm tone with some fiddling around. My biggest complaint is that the guitar gets a tad noisy with the pick-up selector in the 1, 3, and 5 positions. Distortion/Drive work well, but once again harmonics are hard to make sound right. It is also hard to play distorted and not get a lot of extra noise from the other strings. Replacing the pickups will get you s very nice guitar.

This guitar matches my style perfectly. I've been playing for over a year. I own an Epiphone G-400 and a Squier Affinity Strat, and I prefer this guitar over both of them. If this was lost or stolen I'd be terribly sad and maybe buy another, but probably with a stop tail and a different color. This guitar easily beats out Squier strats, and with some upgrading it may become on par with a MIM Strat. I wish this guitar had just a little better quality of materials. It's a nice guitar that can be worlds better with some extra work and money.

This guitar feels very durable. I've accidentally banged it around a bit and it's fine. The hardware feels kind of cheap though, but that's expected of a cheap guitar. The strap buttons feel solid, solid enough for me to walk around without strap locks. I would take this guitar to a gig, but with backups just in case. It feels reliable, but not 100% reliable. The gloss on the neck is tough, as in if you dent the neck, the gloss will actually dent with it other than chip off. The paint on the body seems tough, but not invincible. That's sort of an upside for strats though if you like relicing.

Out of the box, the guitar was playable, but not well set up. The strings were a little rusted, and the tremolo bridge was very loose. Literally placing your finger on the bar and push the bar down a bit. The pickups will most likely need to be completely replaced rather than just adjusted on this guitar. The bridge on my guitar is not very good. Even after adjusting the truss rod and bridge, the bridge is actually pulled slightly off of the body with Standard .10 strings. The neck has a beautiful gloss finish that is perfectly applied. It even looks a little quilted. Even frets that are nicely filed, but it looks like there is some glue around each fret on the side of the neck, giving an ugly dark yellow stain underneath the gloss. The body feels a bit "chunkier" than average strats and Strat copies. The fretboard is also mostly flat and with what I would call a wide Fender "D" neck. The nut wasn't cut perfectly. There's a "chip" in it on the side of the fretboard. The tuners are low quality and need to be replaced though, especially if you plan on using the tremolo. Another complaint is that my guitar had a very tiny dent in the first fret near the B string.

I'm not sure what year this was made, most likely 2007-2008. Made in China with an Alder body, 21 fret bolted on Maple with gloss finish. Average finish and paint on it; the site calls it Posder blue but it is really more Aqua. This guitar is based off of early Fender Stratocasters in terms of overall build. The bridge is a normal tremolo bridge that isn't great, but not terrible. 3 Single Coils, 1 Vol, 2 Tone knobs, 5 way Switch. The pickups and knobs are a Vintage cream color as opposed to the white pickguard. Generic SX tuners. It's really a typical Strat copy.

ZaÐ
    You prefer this over a G-400? lol...
    He tried both of them before judging....u did the same?
    ZaÐ
    Nice guitar for the price,it s just a matter of changing P.U.
    Sgt-Mihaly
    I have one of these guitars layin' around.. And there's a reason it's just "Layin' around" It's terrible. Not even worth the money.
    Marnz
    I have one and the pick ups are suprisingly good. Except mine is an 06 model so it may make a diffecrence. If you bought it online it may have got knocked around a bit
    lapy94
    yeah... sorry but "some upgrading" won't put this guitar on par with a MIM strat. I own a MIM strat myself and i've played my mate's SX and i gotta say the action was crazy high, pups were noisy, pots and switch were noisy too, even on clean channel. I don't believe how you can honestly think that a cheap strat imitation can be even close to the quality of a REAL fender. RANT OVER!
    jcboomer
    ^ I believe it can get close to a strat. All you have to do is set it up well that will take care of the action, swap out the pups, and as for the pots and switch thats not true. The SX on clean is one of the cleanest sound guitars I've ever heard I think its just your amp thats not clean.
    Gr33n
    This guitar is horrible!! It has the worst neck i've ever played LOL! Even a Squier Affinity is better than this. And how could anyone prefer this over a G-400! HAHA LOL. And the machine heads are really FU**ED UP! On mine they are like bass ones and the strings barely stay in them! I wouldnt recommend this to anyone.
    synrocker
    ouh yea..i got this guitar..my first and only electric ****ing guitar..hahahah.. but guess wht,i went jamming on an ibanez and i prefer this guitar too..just change to a nicer amp and also better pickup..although i havent change my pickups,my fren changed it to a seymour duncan humbucker and it sounds excellent..so **** yea..
    psychoskin473
    Yeah i bought the 80 dollar one and swapped the bridge out for a GFS strat rail and for the money its better than any squier ive played although the tremolo bar did break off from some rediculous dives and even with that it stayed in tune. I was going to put a hard tail in anyway so that worked out. Its lighter and less expensive than a G-400, i totally perfer this over that over expensive thing anyday. Only advice i could give is that you should know where to get some decent inexpensive upgrades and this will do most anything you want it to.
    thefailboat
    I own this guitar, it sucks, but I bet you couldn't find a better guitar for the price
    Jammy Pige
    I just purchased the SX SST LTD2 NAT which is a glorified version of the vintage, but with a swamp ash body and AAA flame neck. What a fn joke! There is so much lacquer coating the neck that the truss rod is useless!!! The frets are cut so short that the high e string slides down on to the wood of the neck when you pull off on it! The hardware is total junk!! The only thing good about it was the swamp ash body and finish... everything is was junk! I sent it back for a full refund!!!
    Ed Vedder19
    I dont know about anyone elses experiences, but if you know how to properly set this guitar up, it is AMAZING! However, it did come from the factory total junk. proper set up is vital, and the lacquer is WAY too thick. I actually knocked that lacquer off the neck with my dremel. worked really well. Cant believe the sound soming from this thing for a lousy $100 bucks or so.
    bundy_metal
    I use to have this guitar and its the worst guitar ive ever played but the price is good