ROCK III MBK review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: ROCK III MBK

I like the sound of this guitar, I play anything from Red Hot Chili style funk, to punk to Slipknot type metal and its proved to be quite versatile. It sounds surprisingly loud unplugged but this could be me because I usually play nines and this guitar came ready fitted with tens. Because of its humbuckers it plays great pinch harmonics, I don't know the reason for this, but it also has good sustain. I think the designers of this guitar had metal in mind when they were designing it but it has a beautiful rich tone when played clean with the neck pickup. I play through a little Roland Cube 15 and for distortion I use a 20 Danelectro Fab Metal pedal, which by the way I recomend to anyone trying to get a good distortion tone on a tight budget.

I've been playing for four years, not long but long enough to know what I want out of a guitar. I think this guitar has it all, killer tone, beautiful finish and it's strong enough to withstand a good old fashioned amp smashing session. I love the individuality of the three humbuckers and the finish I think is class. I wish it had a rocket pack in it so I could shoot fireworks out the end, that would be cool, but seriously, I would recommend this guitar if you're at my level of playing, but you dont have a great deal of cash.

I don't play live very often but when I do I use a Marshall 60 watt amp. I haven't tried this guitar with it yet but I'm certainly not afraid to use it live. The hardware is pretty strong and the strap buttons wont be coming out anytime soon. I reckon you could kick this guitar around a lot and not expect more than a few dents in the finish. Not that you would though.

I was a bit dissapointed with the action of this guitar when I first got it home. It needs a bit of adjustment of the truss-rod which I can do myself, but I'd rather let the guy at the shop do it. Besides this it seems fine, except if I'm going to be critical the volume and tone knobs seem a bit crooked. Nothing that cant be fixed, of course. Please don't let this put you off buying this guitar because I genuinaly think it is very nice, I just got unlucky.

I don't now the exact year this guitar was made but I would guess 2005 if not 2006. The body is basswood with bolt-on maple nack and rosewood fretboard with 24 frets. It has three humbucking pickups and a 5-way selector switch. Also there are two knobs; one for tone and one for volume. The body looks kind of like a stretched out Strat with pointy horns and smooth edges. The finish is interesting too, like a kind of glittery black. A good looking guitar, I think.

Razza999
    I've considered buying this for a long time, just need the money. Since the only guitar i got is a Tanglewood Nevada and obviously it isn't as good as this sounds, i'm just desperate to get this guitar and play it myslef!
    rv_phoenix
    'I play through a little Roland Cube 15 and for distortion I use a 20 Danelectro Fab Metal pedal, which by the way I recomend to anyone trying to get a good distortion tone on a tight budget.' My dear fellow, you have just offered us the receipe for the crappiest sound ever. No offence, but the Cube is an amp made with street-corner beggars in mind, while Danelectro's FAB distortion is noisy, muddy and lacking dynamics. This puts a question mark on the entire review of your guitar. How can you review an electric guitar, when you don't actually know how it really sounds through a decent amp and using decent pedals? An 8,8 overall makes me think that, playing it through a Vox Night Train with a Pete Cornish pedalboard, it could actually get a 28. And we only have marks from 1 to 10. So let your mark shrink a little bit, until it reaches somewhere between 6 and 6,5.