TSB 58 Signature review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TSB 58 Signature

Purchased from: North London Music Centre

It has 3 way a selector switch, and the Standard 4 knobs for volume/tone as you'd expect on a Les Paul. However unlike most on the market, turning these knobs actually makes a change in the sound. Having three humbuckers means you can expect a hell of a lot of volume with a bit of crunch and reverb, however with a a bit of knob adjustment, you can get a very bluesy sound to it. I play pretty much everything, from jazz to metal, and with the right accessories (I use a DigiTech RP90 pedal, and a Berhinger FX600 with a 12W tube Amp) it can suit any of those genres. I would also like to point out that in my opinion, it sounds much better than an Epiphone Les Paul, which I also tried out.

I've been playing for about 4 years, but only bought an electric 14 months ago (this one). If this was stolen, I'd definitely buy it again, because it has a peculiar tone, which sounds different to any other cutaways I have tried. I compared it to an Epiphone Les Paul, not sure which model. Basically I just thought that this sounded much better, and was also cheaper, so it beat it hands down.

For build quality, I'd say it's fairly good. I've had it for over a year, and the only thing which has broken has been the pickup selector switch knob. However this was because I was using it as a killswitch. As for gigging, I've played at school concerts with it and never had a problem. However I would advise you to use strap locks, as strap can detach from guitar with excessive vibrant movement.

The guitar looks incredibly similar to a Gibson Custom for a fraction of the price. I know that's not extremely helpful, but I haven't spotted any flaws. It can handle being taken apart and put back together (Yes I got bored and decided to unscrew bits of it to see what was inside).

This is my first review, so go easy on me. Also if you have any opinions on what I've said, please let me know. - SHAPE: Single Cutaway - BODY: Solid Mahogany - TOP: Maple Veneer - NECK (MATERIAL): Mahogany - NECK (BUILD): Set Neck - FINGERBOARD: Rosewood - NUT (WIDTH): (43mm) - SCALE LENGTH: 630mm - MACHINE HEADS: Gold Grover style - INLAYS: Block, Mother of Pearl - HARDWARE: Gold - FINISH: Cherry Sunburst Gloss - PICKUPS: 3 x Entwistle Alnico HV58

rv_phoenix
    Tanglewood is huge value for money. They have vastly improved lately. But the sound of this LP-type guitar is a bit awkward. Some might like it, some might not.