TSE 605 review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TSE 605

Purchased from: N/A

I play mostly modern rock and Indie music and when I purchased this guitar a year ago I wasn't sure which guitars suited particular styles. However, I feel that this guitar can handle pretty much any type of music. I usually play anything from Guns N'Roses, Muse, Foo Fighters, Nirvana to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Futureheads, Coldplay, Razorlight and Oasis. I feel that this guitar can handle all of these styles pretty damn well, a hell of a lot of sustain and very clear sounds despite the level of gain! I play this through a Vox AD30VT and can get a range of tones out of it (even ska). Overall, I believe that this SG model is a very good guitar for a beginner/intermmediate level player, and it suits most styles.

I have been playing for just over two years and it has suited all styles of music that I have been playing, despite my range. I believe that you can get a good sound from any amplifier with this guitar and I have failed to get a bad sound. if it were stolen/lost I would not buy another model, but thats only because I am currently saving up for a Fender tele. My favourite things about the guitar are the pale green grover tuners and the classic SG look of the guitar. Although it is not a genuine Gibson, it is the next best thing, well suited for beginner and intermmediate players. I wish it had a bigsby tremolo system but thats purely my preference and dream! I completely recommend this guitar to anyone who wants to get value for money and a decent looking guitar!

I haven't yet played live at all but so far it has proved to be extremely durable and reliable. The hardware will last as long as I like as there have been no problems so far, however if the pickups were upgraded it would be like a real SG. If I was to gig in the future I would probably take a backup, but thats only because I have never gigged before. Otherwise it is a very reliable guitar.

When I first got the guitar it was in amazing condition, no flaws, like it was just made before I bought it. Over the past year, the only complaint I have is that I have had a few buzzing frets, but that was sorted out with some fret filing. The action was at a perfect setting as were the pickups. It is very well built and I have had a couple of accidents with it, however, it is very strong and there are no visible dents or scratches. Overall, I was impressed with the action, fit and finish considering the guitar is supposed to be an SG copy!

With the pickups, on my model there are two chrome plates covering the pickups. It is an SG style guitar. - Body: contoured basswood - Neck: hard maple/set - Fingerboard: rosewood - Frets: 22 - Tuners: pearl Tulip - Bridge: 6 saddle Tune-O-Matic - Pickups: 2 Entwistle DarkStar humbuckers - Hardware: chrome - Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way Switch.

bettyswollox
    I meant to say that my favourite feature was the green tulip tuning keys not green grover, sorry!