TSE 605 review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TSE 605

Purchased from: B.E.M music (brixton)

This guitar suits my style of music great. I generally play Garage, Blues, Hard Rock and recently a few of my own metal licks.It has a tone and can be very subtle, just what I wanted. The Lows are great, I generally have the pup selector on the bridge and the tone very low as this give me the raw sound I like. I am using a Marshall MG10CD with this guitar, and the tone is vibrant and full. Yesterday my elder brother (a bassist was fiddiling around on it) and he slid down to around the 18 fret and out came a Slash kinda shred note, I was amazed! I think this guitar has a great tone, and could be improved on by using a better amp. It also has great sustain.

I think it is a great guitar, with a very good finish + great build quality. I have been playing for 4 years, and this is a very good guitar for intermediate guitarists on a budget. If it were stolen I would hunt down and skin whoever took it and then impale them on it. And I reckon it would still be fine after that. I would buy this again if it were stolen or lost-definetly. My favourite feature are the pups, they give a great tone and there is little buzz. I just wish it had a tremelo, to make it look that much sexier!

I have not yet played live with this guitar though it has been through many a jam session and is still in good nick. It is very reliable and durable. The hardware seems like it will last as does the finish, which is great. The strap buttons are solid as is the input. I can depend on it, though would have a backup on a gig.

The action was perfect, very low, with no fret buzz at all. The Action is about 2/3 millimetres above the fret, so very low. I was very pleased with the bridge, it was in perfect condition, routed well and doesn't look like it will rust. I have just one complaint: the pup selector is quite noisy, and the cover on the end (the black bit) almost came off first touch, and then had to be tightened up. The controls are sturdy and turn smoothly. The finish is in Cherry and great, the neck is very smooth and not over laquered.

rikki123s
    I have had one of these guitars for 5 years, and I never actually thought to look up what sort of pick ups I have on it. I was actually browsing ebay to find some humbuckers to load up on it when I came across this post. I never knew this guitar came with a couple hehe. The guitar is great! I have never tired of it. and I agree, it goes well with any genre of music.
    Axe-man69
    rv_phoenix
    Axe-man69 wrote: They must have upgraded these cos I played this SG clone and it WASNT made of basswood! It was mahogany and the pickups were, Entwistle HDN, neodymium, hi output humbuckers. Totally amazing. This guitar cooked! Sounds BETTER than the modern Gibson equvalent imho! Highly recommended.
    Let's not exaggerate. You're right about the wood, it is mahogany, but it's light mahogany (of a white colour), not the real, dark mahogany. And high output pups on a bright-style guitar isn't quite the best idea. Let's stick to the point that its a great value for money'instrument. It's a long way to the stars (have you heard of Gibson's unique laser fretting machine, which makes Gibsons free of any fret-buzz?).