Del Rey ET-220 review by Teisco

Teisco: Del Rey ET-220

Purchased from: Garage sale

Warm clean acoustic sounding tone on the neck and a bright, almost Strat-like sound, on the bridge. Sounds nice with clean or no overdrive. No buzz from the strings, feedback is tremendous with any sort of distortion. But I use a DigiTech Screamin Blues and it seems to play well. Very versatile.

Definitely good for a blues/classic rock guitarist, I might as well have stole it for how much I paid and how good of condition this babys in. If it were stolen I'd mope around the house for a year or so, seeing as it's definitely a rare peice, it's my favorite guitar and ima keep it for a little while.

Hardware will definitely last another 40 years, I would gig it, with a backup of course. Very light body due to the hollowbody, seems like it wouldn't handle as much bangin around as my Tele, but it's lasted very well so far.

Everything was great except for a loose jack, thought that may have come with the age. Finish is almost perfect, and tuners still and strap buttons still hold. Frets are very low, at first I thought it was just worn, but later found out that's just how they make em in Japan. Also the tone knob works in reverse, another Japanese innovation.

1964 made in Japan, 21 medium frets, 2 pickup switches and one tone and volume knob. Hollowbody with 'f' shaped hole on the side finish was in excellent condition considering its age. Came with old beat up case which I've since replaced, 2 humbucking pickups on bridge and neck. Everything worked perfect, surprisingly, after being locked up for more than 3 decades.