Del Rey ET-220 review by Teisco

Teisco: Del Rey ET-220

Purchased from: my bassist

I love the sound. It's gritty, but bluesy. I run it straight to a Peavey ValveKing 212, no effects. Very rich sound, but not much variety. I play punk, and it's perfect. It is kind of noisy, but I play it loud enough that it covers that up. I bet if it wasn't so noisy it would be awesome for blues.

Great for punk, probably great for blues, too. Excellent. I've been playing for a while now, I own a Strat and have played a Tele a lot, though I didn't own it. If it were stolen or lost, well, I can't get another one, so I'd hunt down the thief, or if I lost it, I'd find it. I love how light and playable it is, and how unique it is. But most of all, I love the sound. I plan to replace the pickups with GFS New Yorks. The originals sound good, but they're too oxidized.

Very reliable. Very durable. I love playing it, and it's unique. Also, it's very light, so I can spin it all over the place and feel comfortable. I could play it all night. The finish is worn on the back, but, again, I'm not complaining. The strap buttons aren't very good though, and they aren't the same size as regular ones, so they can't be replaced. I use gaff tape.

When I first laid eyes on it, the neck was horrible. But after the truss rod was adjusted, it wasn't bad at all. The fretboard is a little rough, but I'm not complaining. The hardware isn't as oxidized as I expected it to be, considering it's been around for 40 years.

1964 or so, Japanese. 21 frets. Fairly thin frets. Alder, I think. It has the normal Teisco finish, vintage sunburst with flowery inlay on pickguard. 2 pickups, soapbar style, kind of rusted. It has a very small body, like a mini-SG, but with the horns facing outward. It has one volume and one tone control, and the bridge has a tremolo but it's very old, and works by a spring.