Silvertone 319 review by Teisco

Teisco: Silvertone 319

Purchased from: Garage Sale

It is a beautiful jazz guitar (sorry Slayer fans), but it is also good for basic rock. Green Day hard rock at most. I used it with my Boss DS-1 Distortion and it sounded off even after messing with knobs everywhere. Has a very clean and precise sound, every once in a while hears a buzz or a crackle but that's because it is still original electronics. The variety in terms of tone is not that great (in terms of amount) but what it can do it does very well.

This thing has hold it own, if it were stolen, I would definitely get a new one (preferably with the green sunburst). The best thing about it is how reliable it is. As long as I have had it (about two years, I have not had any problems. I think it would make a good guitar for a beginner for any style perfect professional jazz guitar (a buddy of mine uses this for a couple jazz/blues bars when his Parker Fly isn't feeling right).

For being as old as it is and being in the condition that I got it in. This thing has a really good quality to it. The hardware has no rust or any chrome wearing off. The strap buttons I had replaced because the original ones were too small for current straps. I have used at a couple gigs but because its a jazz guitar I use it for more bluesy and more jazzy songs.

I had it fixed up at Guitar Center and loaded with the proper springs for the bridge. The action is really high (compared to my Washburn KC-40V) but I prefer a bit higher action. In terms of flaws, I have not found any aside from some dings from regular use. The knobs have been kinda sketchy recently but again not bad for being about 45 years old.

This was the first guitar that I ever bought and it is what I learned on. It is made in Japan (Teisco, Tokyo Electronic Sound & Instrument Company). 21 Frets. Mine has a red 3-tone sunburst. It is a solid body. Fixed bridge. The body style is a mix between a Strat and a Gibson SG. Passive electronics. Has two separate switches to activate each pickup. Also has Master Volume and two Tone Knobs. I have the original tuners in and they hold tuning for about week or so (depends how much I play).