ALS48 Premium review by Tokai

Tokai: ALS48 Premium

Purchased from: Curly's Music

I have had this guitar for presisly a year and three days. At the time of buying, I was more heavily into thrash metal than I am now. The guitar suited my needs of playing endless metallica songs, very well indeed. Now I find my self playing more Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Skid Row and still Metallica and Iron Maiden styled music and it is even better at doing that. I use a Line 6 Spider IV which is an alright amp and I use the various effects that come built in to it. Through it, you can get a very good Thrash metal sound, Glam metal, hard rock, power ballads pretty much every thing. And I sure it will probably get a good Indie sound BUT if and only if you which to fed to blood thirsty, human eating, mutant oceanic Molluscs of varying species. When left pluged in with the volume up it is very quite, as quite as someone would be if tried to play Indie through my set up. (no one has yet thay took the warning).

This guitar suitas all stlyes of music, looks great and plays great. If it were stolen I would feed the person who stole to the mutant molluscs and save up again for the same guitar. Whilst buying it I had to choose between this and an Epiphone Les Paul. You would have to be an idiot to choose the Epiphone over this, same price but the Tokai plays and sounds better. This is An amazing Guitar.

I have used this guitar for live playing for all but one ocassion. I have only once brought a back-up (that is a bit stupid of me I know). When I did bring a back-up I took four back ups. I has never failed live or at home or at rehersals. This is my first choice guitar allways out of my five (Washburn X10, This, Harley Benton HBMS620TR, BC Rich Warlock (a surprisingly good one) and a Fender Stratocaster). So I use it alot yet hasn't broken down on me unlike the Washburn.

As I have previously said, I have had the guitar for a year now and it has had no major problems. It has however suffered some minor flaws such as the pickup toggle is ever so slightly looses and that the finish is beging to wear of on top part of the cut away on the back. neither of them bother me much at all, wear and tear of a guitar shows how much you love and play the guitar. As for the action, it is fantastic. I haven't even adjusted it from the shop. It really a very playable guitar.

This Les Paul Copy was built in china and built well, dispite the popular belief that chinese guitars arent' going to last long. It has 22 excellent frets on a rosewood finger board with mother of pearl, trapiezoid inlays. The very smooth back of the neck is Canadian maple and is small, round and matches the curve of your hand beautifully (it does for me atleast). The neck is set into the alder body which has a maple veneer, flamed top. Mine is in Cherry Sunburst which looks great. The hardware is chrome and as is the way with Les Pauls, consists of a Tune-o-matic (TOM) bridge with a stop tail, two volume and two tone controls (one for each pickup) (these aren't chrome but orangey brown), two PAF Vintage MK4 humbucker pickups and a three way pickup switch. As for the Tuners, I don't don't know what make they are but that they are non-locking and work a treat. thay are finished in a pale green like some traditional Gibson Les Pauls are. With the guitar I got a gig bag, strap, cable and stand but I get the impression these where courtesy of the shop not Tokai as non of them where Tokai's brand and could be found around the shop.

zerocenx
    kienz
    Spelling mistakes aside, I really like the colour of the guitar in the picture, hah. I see dark clouds coming though
    Sakke
    zerocenx wrote: UG should get a spell-check so this wouldn't happen. But really, I can tell it's a nice guitar
    +1. Looks like a nice guitar. Haven't been able to test that model, but I've tested the higher-end Tokais.. They're really nice guitars for the price.
    Sakke
    I don't believe that. My friend has 75 watt line 6 4 and I have the 15 watt version. They really suck.
    Seref
    Echoplex
    I know I'm not the first to point this out, but sweet Jesus, you can't spell. Regarding the rest of the review: you seem much more objective than most of the reviewers of low-end guitars on this site, so thank you for that.
    Jj795
    Nice guitar.....the spelling is bad, hey ,who cares. Thanks for the review
    Anjohl
    Spider line 6 = no go. Digital amps suck. Yoru guitars tone is being 100% masked. The only effect your LP copy is having on the tone is the sustain of the set neck, so any crappy set neck guitar would sound identical. Nothing wrong with using them for convenience, but don't review a guitar you play through a digital amp.
    Marley Tokunaga
    Seref wrote: When you write a review for UG there should be like a checkbox when you submit it that asks "Was this guitar or effects pedal reviewed through a: Spider, MG, or Vypyr?" And if yes it should never see the front page.
    Hrbáč
    Marley Tokunaga wrote: The Marshall MG?? That's actually a really good amp if that's the one you meant. Nice guitar though, I know where he's coming from because I also have horrible spelling.XD
    MG is actually an abreviation for My Girlfriend. You should know where to plug it Anyway the dark red looks amazing.
    lamberto77
    I love playing guitar (hate guitarists) "Your spelling is all wrong" Bunch of losers get a grip