EX50 Review

manufacturer: Tokai date: 07/06/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Tokai: EX50
22 fret rosewood fingerboard, moderatley wide neck, agathis Explorer style body, maple set-neck, 2 volume and 1 tone controls, 3-way selector for 2 passive humbucking pickups.
 8.7
 9.4
 2,855
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
EX50 Reviewed by: Rocker_2007, on july 06, 2007

Purchased from: Syndall Music

Features: Not sure of year, but guitar was made in Korea. 22 fret rosewood fingerboard, moderatley wide neck (wider than my Warlock & Les Paul's neck), Agathis Explorer style body, maple set-neck, 2 volume and 1 tone controls, 3-way selector for 2 passive humbucking pickups (PAF-Vintage MK4X2). Awesome tuners, take a bit of a thrashing in Standard or Drop-D tuning and are never more than a fraction out. // 9

Sound: Suits my music style excellently which mainly consists of hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Audioslave, Aerosmith) but dabbles a bit in the metal and bluesy genres but mainly focuses on hard & classic rock. I run it through a 50watt Peavey Backstage amplifier with a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal for the heavy sounds, also a DigiTech RP-80 for all other effects. It's pretty noisy with both pickups on, lacks a little sustain and a fuller sound with just one on but the pair of pickups on sounds nice. A very rich and full sound rather than a twangy sound, very bright also if you play around with the tone control. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar set up was almost immaculate, only thing that I adjusted was the tross rod was a bit loose and rattled, which could have been due to travel reasons (flight), apart from that no other noticable flaws as of yet. Finish is quite nice a very glossy black, and the action is normal for my liking, not too low or too high. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will thrive in a Live setting, playing will be no problem provided you own and utilise strap locks as this is a heavy guitar and the angle of the neck strap button is quite an angle when fitted with a strap. Other than this the hardware and quality of the guitar will definetly withstand gigging. I would use it without a backup as it is a very durable guitar and I am completley convinced in it's reliability. The finish feels like quite a thick finish and will probably take a chisel to remove. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned before I play anything from classic rock & blues, through hard rock and into some metal and this guitar suits it all. I have been playing about 2 years and I also own 2 other guitars, an Epiphone Les Paul and a Warlock guitar. If it were lost I would defintley buy this again or if I had the money buy the Gibson version, but if you cannot afford the Gibson, this is by far the better product over the Epiphone. This is almost Gibson quality without the hefty price tag. I love everything about it, especially the gold hardware. I hate the weight, but it makes the guitar a solid unit to easily withstand anything but a 4 story drop. I compared it to the Epiphone and so have many of the people I have shown (music shop owners, music shop workers, guitar teachers, guitar enthusiasts, other musicians), and to this day no-one has commented that the Epiphone is a better buy. This is well worth the money over an Epiphone. Only other thing I wish this guitar had isa big Marshall amp to play with! // 10

Comments