Love Rock ASL48 review by Tokai

Tokai: Love Rock ASL48

Needed something with humbuckers for fuller sound when I joined a band playing rock/punk/indie syle tunes. Playing through a Vox ADT50 I`d been playing my tele throgh. sounds awesome cranked up and overdriven, sustains forever using mainly bridge pickup but is also able to produce warm mellow tones especially on AC30 setting on amp which sounds clean and bright until you hit the strings harder and get a growl and crunch.

Chose the Tokai after reading and hearing about their Japanese Les Pauls being prefered over Gibsons by some. Certainly not disappointed, I can`t see how Japanese one could be better than this, it`s perfect. I've been playing over 15 years and this is my favourite guitar for rock I've owned, it`s truly magnificent for price, it looks and sounds better than my bandmates Gibson Les Paul Studio and I've played 2000 standards that don`t sound or feel much different. Overall I should`t ever need another Les Paul style guitar, I love this one and don`t think Epiphone would sell another Les Paul if everyone tried these first. Only way up from here is Gibson.

Everything looks and feels well made, no wobbly buttons or tuners. Feels about same weight as a Gibson so not flimsy. I will be very surprised if it doesn`t last many years in this condition. Then again I`d never gig without a back up unless there`s no one else in the room, on stage and you can`t get alcohol!

Set up very well from new apart from a couple of buzzy frets on bottom e and a which I tolerate firstly because you can`t here them when amplified and secondly because I don`t want to adjust the very low and slick action. Bit of glue run at top of neck but only if you look hard.

This is the Korean model hence the bargain price. Copies features from a Les Paul Standard but with an alder body and a flame sycamore top in a dark violin burst. Set 50`s style neck, covered humbuckers and usual Les Paul controls and bridge etc. Has the nice Gibson style plastic or whatever they`re made of tuners. Looks really nice.

Placid Casual
    Which pick-ups do you have in this guitar ? Are the PAF Vintage MK4's any good ? I like the look of this guitar and im considering picking one up soon.
    TokaiRocker2000
    I reccomend these beatiful guitars to anyone, ive got one (hence the name) and i love it. There perfect for any style that you play. So the TokaiRocker reccomends these excellent quality axxes!!