Loverock ASL70 review by Tokai

Tokai: Loverock ASL70

Purchased from: LA music

I play hard-rock, blues and metal, anything from Zeppelin to Megadeth, from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Zakk wylde, and it delivers. I'm playing it through a Marshall mg100fdx (obviously not the best in amps)and a Boss GT-8, and an original Dunlop Cry Baby wah. Suits my needs beautifully. The bridge pickup has a crisp/bright tone on cleans, and punching on distortion. The neck pickup is really warm, which is something I like. Harmonics, pinch-harmonics and artificial harmonics are a breaze with this guitar. Sustain is incredible. Much like a Gibby LP. I have an Ibanez Rg, and this Tokai. My dad has a Gibson Les Paul Standard. I have to say that this guitar is my favourite. This Tokai has all the virsitilaty and amazing tone of a Gibson, for a quarter of the price. And when gigging, you neve have the worry of "I don't wanna scratch this expensive guitar!" or any thought of the sort.

when I first saw this guitar, I thought, "Oh no, just another cheap LP wannabe". But once the store owner told me of it's history and pursuaded me to play it, I was amazed. The only difference between this guitar and an actual Gibson is that is says Tokai on the headstock, and love rock instead of "Les Paul". I found out that I got this guitar right after Gibson had sued Tokai for the second time. This guitar is no longer in production anywhere (it only used to be illigal to sell in the USA). People were buying Tokai instead of Epiphone, and also Gibson (we all don't have big $$$ to spend). Due to all of this, my overall impression is that I love this guitar. Of course, it isn't a true Gibson, and at times I'll think, "I have a knock-off". The I'll think, "naw, it's a law-suit guitar. Waayy cooler". If you can find one of these, I recomend buying it if you are a fan of LPs. Gibson quality without the Gibson price tag, you can't go wrong.

This guitar has withstanded Live playing, and will continue to do so with no problems. All I did to this guitar for reliabilitie purposes was the Dunlop strap locks. I had no problems with the stock buttons, I just like the security. I use this guitar Live without a backup, seeing as how I use my Ibanez for a different tuning (drop C). I have never needed a backup, and have never felt nervous not having one, 'cause I know nothing will happen (that is within my power).

The factory set-up was great. All I had to do was make the action a little high for my personal preferance. The finish is an amber-burst with a little bit of a flame-top. Looks stunning. It looks like the LP that Slash has in the "Sweet Child O' Mine" video, only it has a cream pick-guard. After half a year of recording use and gig use, I have had no problems. Tuners keep in tune great, great sound, and beautiful finish, I even put the bell truss-rod cover like the Gibson (it came with a Bullet looking one, like ESP LTD's have).

This guitar guitar was made in 2006, but I bought it in March this year (2007). It has 22 frets with the Gibson style trapizoid inlays. The body is made out of mahogany with a maple top. Rosewood fretboard. Two stock humbucker pickups (not gold or nickle plated ones), 3-way toggle switch, two volume knobs, two tone knobs, passive electronics. It has a beautiful amber-burst finish, with a little bit of a flame-top look. the back of the guitar has the Gibson style mahogany colour. I don't know the name of the tuner brand, but it looks exactly like the one found on a Classic Gibson LP. It came with Standard strap buttons (which was great), but I switched it for Dunlop strap-locks, 'cause I'm parinoid like that.

Kcinlp
    I have this model and yes I have played various Gibsons and yes in my opinion the Tokai plays and feels so much nicer. The action is perfect, the neck is a wider 50's style with no flat spots and I prefer this to the thinner necks as I find it easier to play. I just cannot put this guitar down!!
    jimbob78
    I've just purchased an ls125 SEB, after tryng many Gibsons. It's simply nicer than a standard, which the ls70 is about on par with. Amazing guitars.
    smi5575
    ive played both a gibson and a tokai and i chose tokai. cheaper and better build and tone
    lambyg
    I have a tokai loverock its like a copy of the gibson goldtop just love the action plays great a tad heavy but hey rock on.
    sg4ever
    The newer Gibson Les Pauls don't really blow me away. Are they wonderful sounding and feeling guitars? Sure. Are they worth the hefty price tag? That's where the waters are a bit murky to me.
    evileenz
    I have played both guitars and where a gibson studio lp sounds better I would still by a tokai because gibsons are overpriced and on occasion badly made guitars, buy the tokai and change the pickups and you will have a better guitar than a gibson