Loverock ASL70 Review

manufacturer: Tokai date: 07/16/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Tokai: Loverock ASL70
22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard. Mahogany set neck and a mahogany back. Gibson Les Paul style body with two PAF vintage MKII pickups, a 3-way switchand two tone controls and two volume controls.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.5
 8.6
 9.1
 8.1
 5,731
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Loverock ASL70 Reviewed by: macey, on september 19, 2005

Features: It was made in Japan and has 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard. It is in an amber flamed sycamore top. It has a mahogany set neck and a mahogany back. It is has a Gibson Les Paul style body with two PAF Vintage MKII pickups, a three way switchand two tone controls and two volume controls. They features are brilliant definaltly equal to a Gibson. // 10

Sound: It has a very rich sound on the rhythm pickup, a Jimmy Page sort of sound. The treble pickup sounds good but not quite as rich as the rythm pickup it is good for heavy distortion sounding music but if you are going to solo with it you'll need a band to back you up more whereas you can solo on your on own with a fuller dound with the rythm pickup still the treble pickup is still good. Sounds very close to a Gibson if not the same. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It is beatifully finished in an amber flame top with cream neck and body binding. It is set up perfectly nothing is wrong with it. Its action is brilliant it plays better than the Gibson Les Paul Standard. ITs also finished better than a Gibson. Top quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish on the guitar is very thick and will not wear out the hardware is brilliant I've never had any trouble with it. I've used it in all the band practices I've been to and its fine, and it's getting used for a gig in about a month I most deffinatly won't be taking a backup guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Led Zeppelin alot and it is a perfect match it ranges from a rock sound to a blues sound to a quite mellow sound. I've been playing for nearly four years and I've played in Gibsons in shops and they don't match up to the Tokai I have. I might at some point change the treble pickups for a more full sound but that is all I would ever do to the guitar. If it was stolen I would not hesitate to buy a new one exactly the same. After buying a japaneese Tokai I would nver buy a Gibson. Top quality. // 10

Loverock ASL70 Reviewed by: Flashback4, on october 09, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Tutor

Sound: Well Loverock really gives it away. Mainly for rock style but is also good for blues and funk. I ame using a Boss Octave, Death Metal distortion and Jim Dunlop Original Wah with it. it can be quite briht when it's on treble, only use that for solos, use middle or rythm for riffs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: All componants are adjusted well, nothing loose. One of the strap pegs has come a little loose, but just got the screw-driver out and it was fixed. Also the scratchplate, but nothing major. It's strongly made and won't fall apart unless you throw it up in the air a couple of times. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The will be OK in gigs. A downside is it's very heavy and I have played with it in a gig lasting 15 minutes and my shoulder was hurting. Hardware will last hopefully forever apart from strings just change them every 6 months, or if you are a string both then you will probably change every month. There are positives as it does have really good sound better than a Epiphone. // 7

Overall Impression: I play loys of metal but it's good for other styles as I said. I have had it for a year now and so far it's done its job. It has got 2 minor dashed on the bottom of the body. I'm not sure I would buy it again, I probably would save up for an Ibanez or Gibson. Well I love the sound, I hate the weight I hate the colour because it's like this greeny, silvery, goldy colour. I aslo like fretboard and pickups. The only thing I wish is that the colour is sunburst (this I s able to get on this guitar), and it was lighter and for this model (Loverock ASL70) I don't think you can change the weight. // 8

Loverock ASL70 Reviewed by: page.slash, on july 16, 2007

Purchased from: LA music

Features: This guitar guitar was made in 2006, but I bought it in March this year (2007). It has 22 frets with the Gibson style trapizoid inlays. The body is made out of mahogany with a maple top. Rosewood fretboard. Two stock humbucker pickups (not gold or nickle plated ones), 3-way toggle switch, two volume knobs, two tone knobs, passive electronics. It has a beautiful amber-burst finish, with a little bit of a flame-top look. the back of the guitar has the Gibson style mahogany colour. I don't know the name of the tuner brand, but it looks exactly like the one found on a Classic Gibson LP. It came with Standard strap buttons (which was great), but I switched it for Dunlop strap-locks, 'cause I'm parinoid like that. // 9

Sound: I play hard-rock, blues and metal, anything from Zeppelin to Megadeth, from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Zakk wylde, and it delivers. I'm playing it through a Marshall mg100fdx (obviously not the best in amps)and a Boss GT-8, and an original Dunlop Cry Baby wah. Suits my needs beautifully. The bridge pickup has a crisp/bright tone on cleans, and punching on distortion. The neck pickup is really warm, which is something I like. Harmonics, pinch-harmonics and artificial harmonics are a breaze with this guitar. Sustain is incredible. Much like a Gibby LP. I have an Ibanez Rg, and this Tokai. My dad has a Gibson Les Paul Standard. I have to say that this guitar is my favourite. This Tokai has all the virsitilaty and amazing tone of a Gibson, for a quarter of the price. And when gigging, you neve have the worry of "I don't wanna scratch this expensive guitar!" or any thought of the sort. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was great. All I had to do was make the action a little high for my personal preferance. The finish is an amber-burst with a little bit of a flame-top. Looks stunning. It looks like the LP that Slash has in the "Sweet Child O' Mine" video, only it has a cream pick-guard. After half a year of recording use and gig use, I have had no problems. Tuners keep in tune great, great sound, and beautiful finish, I even put the bell truss-rod cover like the Gibson (it came with a Bullet looking one, like ESP LTD's have). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstanded Live playing, and will continue to do so with no problems. All I did to this guitar for reliabilitie purposes was the Dunlop strap locks. I had no problems with the stock buttons, I just like the security. I use this guitar Live without a backup, seeing as how I use my Ibanez for a different tuning (drop C). I have never needed a backup, and have never felt nervous not having one, 'cause I know nothing will happen (that is within my power). // 10

Overall Impression: when I first saw this guitar, I thought, "Oh no, just another cheap LP wannabe". But once the store owner told me of it's history and pursuaded me to play it, I was amazed. The only difference between this guitar and an actual Gibson is that is says Tokai on the headstock, and love rock instead of "Les Paul". I found out that I got this guitar right after Gibson had sued Tokai for the second time. This guitar is no longer in production anywhere (it only used to be illigal to sell in the USA). People were buying Tokai instead of Epiphone, and also Gibson (we all don't have big $$$ to spend). Due to all of this, my overall impression is that I love this guitar. Of course, it isn't a true Gibson, and at times I'll think, "I have a knock-off". The I'll think, "naw, it's a law-suit guitar. Waayy cooler". If you can find one of these, I recomend buying it if you are a fan of LPs. Gibson quality without the Gibson price tag, you can't go wrong. // 10

Comments