LS85 Review

9.4
 4,665
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
LS85 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2007

Features: It is a Japanese made Tokai LS85 in Cherry Sunburst, with a flamed maple top and the 'snakeskin' wood grain in two pieces. It is a 22-fret rosewood neck with trapezoid inlays. It is a solid mahogany setneck body with a flamed maple top. It is a Les Paul style guitar body with a single cutaway. Tune-O-Matic bridge with 2 passive humbucking pick-ups (MKII's). It has 2 vol & 2 tone knobs. Grover copy tuners which hold tune magnificently. It came included with and inside of a shaped & padded hardcase. // 10

Sound: The guitar sounds just as good as it looks. Full, rich Gibson sound with a spark of brightness to it and it packs a punch, this guitar bites through the air on the high range and low range is just as impressive. Impecable copy of the pick-up sound, such a classic sound full of tone. I run it through a 50watt Peavey Backstage amp and I use a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and a DigiTech RP-80. It matches my style of music perfectly which is anything from Aerosmith, Audioslave, Metallica, Led Zeppelin etc. (classic rock through to some metal also). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar needed work from the factory in regards to playing properties, the action was a bit low and buzzy for me so I raised it a bit and it is perfect now, buzzing has all but gone and guitar has such a smooth flow to it. Guitar was quite well intonated to begin with but after adjusting action and so forth it quickly went out but I fixed that back up and it's perfect now. Does'nt stray from tuning even with a fair amound of bending. Only flaw so far was that the selector Switch backing (bit that reads rythym or treble) is loose and raised on one side. the glue seems to have lost grip on a small section of the backing. barely noticable. so aside from this and that I had to set the guitar up myself it was pretty well made. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar with Live up to any Live aspiration and standards and exceed them. This guitar is meant ot be played in any situation. The hardware will last for eternity but may oxidize over time. Solid strap buttons I have put strap locks on but was comfortable jumping around with Standard buttons in place.I would use it without a backup if I didn't have a backup but I always do so in that circumstance then I wouldnt. But it would hardly fail you at a gig. the finish seems quite thick and super glossy but might scratch easily but will not fade soon unless left in the sun. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock through to metal and a bit of jazz and blues and it sounds and looks gorgeous. I have been playing about 2 years and I also own (and wrote the review on here for) a Tokai EX-50 Explorer (which is my Drop D tuned guitar now which hasn't failed me, a bit of adjustments here and there but all still excellent quality. If it was stolen I would definetly buy a new one, would not even think twice about buying a new one exactly the same and would laugh at anyone who paid $3500 AUS or more for a Gibson quality when I have played many Gibson's and all were on par or below this one in quality. So for the price well worth the money. I love the finish, I love the sound, I love this guitar. I wish it had different coloured tuning keys, the Gibson green colour is shithouse. Only other flaw. Worst colour choice by Gibson and Tokai followed. // 10

Comments