SG60 review by Tokai

Tokai: SG60

Purchased from: store in Denmark Street

I play mainly rock, hard rock and metal, bands from Green Day and 30 Seconds To Mars to Slipknot and Metallica and for me the guitar suits what I play really well and produces a sound that can be compared to the sound from a Gibson SG. I play through a 15 watt practice amp with an analogue delay pedal and an overdrive distortion pedal. For distortion I generally use the bridge pickup as I have set up in such a way for maximum sound quality, the neck pickup sounds bright and full of tone. With gain up high it can get a bit noisy but nothing that is too awful but other than that no noise whatsoever.

Like I said I play a variety of rock and metal and yeah this guitar seems like a good match. I have been playing just over a year now and own this guitar and a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and a bass. If it were lost or stolen I would chase the guy down and wack him over the head with my bass but failing that I would buy an Epiphone G-400. I would recommend this guitar for the awesome upper fret accessibility and the SG look and style but for that there is Gibson, I would recommend this to beginners however. I just wish I didn't have to spend the money upgrading the tuners...

I am yet to gig with this guitar but it looks like it is solid and could easily take a gig without backup. The strap buttons are good but I have straplocks of course and the hardware looks good too that will definitely last. The finish is good but gets a bit fingerprinty but that is nothing a cloth can't handle

Other than the now replaced tuners which were for 3 of them screwed on diagonally, the guitar set up was reasonable but the action and pickup heights needed adjusting. The is only 1 REALLY annoying problem with the jack input which was not put in correctly and, after taking it in to another store, needs replacing. Everything else is in top shape.

My SG60 has 22 frets and was made in China. Both the set in neck and body are in a glossy cherry red finish with a fixed black half pickguard, normal for most SG copies. It has the expected humbucker pickups and full controls with a Tune-O-Matic bridge but terrible stock tuners with a puke green plastic cover that can barely handle tuning between Standard and drop D (i have recently replaced them with grover machine heads). It is really comfortable and light, espcially good for a damaged left shoulder. Other than the let down with the tuners the rest of the guitar is really good quality.