SG60 review by Tokai

Tokai: SG60

Purchased from: The Belfast Guitar Emporium

The sound from this guitar is amazing. I play mainly blue's and rock. But mostly AC/DC. It suits my style quite well. It's pretty light so that helps. I use a Roland 20x amp with it. I can change from blues to rock to metal by just turning a knob on the amp, and I don't need to change anything on the guitar. It can deal with anything. The only problem is that when you put it to the the neck pick up, it turns very deep and muddy, but I usually have on the bridge pick up.

As I sad, I play a lot of blues, and maybe the odd bit of metal, and it is a real good beginners guitar. And it's good if you don't want to be boring and get a strat. The only thing that I wished it had was a Gibson badge, but we can't have everything. But it is a brilliant guitar and I would recommend it to anyone.

This could withstand live playing. I've only played a couple of songs live but never anything big. I would probably use this without a back-up. The finnish is excellent and could last a long time.

It was pretty well set up when I got it new. The pick ups were pretty well set up. But I've only been plying for just over a year now. So I wouldn't know. I've read reviews about the tuning pegs, about them coming loose and not being fitted properly, but I've never had a problem with them. The wood is good quality and withstand a bashing. I've dropped a couple of times and it's still good.

This guitar was made in China. Not to sure when it was made. But it is a perfect guitar. It has 22 frets and I don't know if they are jumbo or not. But they are a decent size. It has a maple neck which is a nice size, very thin. It has a mahogany body with a cherry finnish and a black pick guard. It's got a tune-o-matic bridge. The only problem that I find with it is that the screws sometimes come loose. But nothing that a screwdriver can't fix.

thedevil
    J.J.G. wrote: damskippy wrote: For a guitar that gives you guys so much trouble, you sure do give it high ratings.The pickups "giving out" after 2 years?Knobs falling off, crappy tuners?I've had my Gibson for 26 years, without any problems.If you'd rather have this than a real SG, I gotta wonder. Amen dude. it feels like this is a "one-gig" guitar or a "first use-throw away guitar" pickups failing? knobs running away from you on stage? imput jack tending to let your cable on the floor? This guitar is good for someone with terminal cancer or that has a year of life left :S
    I have to really disagree. I haven't had any issues like that happen w/ my Tokai, although I did have to get the nobs tightened when I was upgrading it. I got it second hand, and in total, the 57 humbuckers and a few other touch-ups costed me altogether $650. Which is still a hell of a lot cheaper than a Gibson, and in my opinion, still retains 99% of the sound and playability. If you have the money to drop on the Gibson, then by all means, I understand why someone would back the Gibson. On the other hand, if you don't have $1,200 to drop on a guitar on top of amp, pedals and other expenses, I'd definetly say go the Tokai route
    thedevil
    ****ing internet dropping out and making me think my post didn't go through (prepares flame-shield)
    dementiacaptain
    um,..... well you see the neck pickup usually is deep..... and everyone knows that sg necks are muddy... oh and i know the roland cant help that....
    veryankit
    hey it seems like it can be made into a great guitar with some pickup change and few other modifications. i guess you have a wooden box here that can be made into a gibson by spending an overall half price of what you would have to pay for a gibson. great option, isnt it?
    thedevil
    Mine hasn't had that issue, well, I did need to get the nobs tightened, but thats it. I got it second hand, put in some 57 humbuckers to replace the original pick-ups, and had it tidied up for about $200 bucks. in total it cost me $650, but it plays 99% as good as a gibson, with a nicer sound (imo) and still cost me a hell of a lot less than an actual Gibson SG. If you have the money, go for it w/ the Gibson. If you don't have $1200 to drop on a guitar, than take the Tokai route