Silver Star SS36 Review

review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Silver Star SS36 Reviewed by: rayq78, on february 10, 2010

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Forum

Features: A 1979 Vintage japanese guitar. A very good copy of 1976 Fender Stratocaster. With micro tilt adjustable maple neck, 3 bolt. Rosewood fingerboard, maple neck. Alder body. Olympic white finish. The bridge is a 70'style for strats. 3 Vintage single coils made by Tokai. This guitar was also known as a Fender Lawsuit guitar. Since Tokai copied almost the exact specifications of the 1976 Fenders. The 3 way toggle switch was converted to 5 way. Vintage tuning pegs, with inserts for excess strings. // 9

Sound: If you play blues, jazz, some rock. This guitar is perfect. Stratocasters are the best guitars for this kind of genre and Tokai has just copied the 76's Strats. I only use DigiTech RP50 modulations, and this guitar sounded great. Very bright at bridge pickups, very fat at the neck. And combine those pickups... killer Strat!! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Its a 31 year old guitar, the settings are already change. It has the micro tilt neck adjustment. So if you want to make the action really low. Its very much possible. But I haven't change it yet. Of coarse, the nickel plated bridge already oxidized. Very Vintage! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played on stage with this guitar yet, but I'm pretty sure of its reliability. Its a 30 year old guitar and all the hardwares are still original. I prefer guitars with ageing finish like my Olympic White Tokai. Actually the finish is yellowing already. Some paint cracks and thats what I like about a Vintage guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: Perfect guitar for blues, Jazz, alternative rock, rock. etc... I'd been playing for 15 years and I am still amazed with this Fender copy guitar. If it was stolen, I have to check ebay for auctions. I really love Stratocasters, and planning of getting a real one. But for this Vintage Tokai. I'm keeping it! // 9

Comments