JR Standard Review

manufacturer: Tradition date: 03/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Tradition: JR Standard
The guitar is a Telecaster Custom copy made by Tradition model called JR Standard, the JR being Jerry Reid. For a guitar priced in the 300 dollar range new, it gets an excellent sound. Definitely rates with the MIM Teles.
 6.5
 9.2
 3.7
 3,629
review (1) pictures (5) 1 comment vote for this gear:
JR Standard Reviewed by: ferdius, on march 16, 2012

Features: Unsure of year made, the guitar is a Telecaster Custom copy made by Tradition model called JR Standard, the JR being Jerry Reid. The guitar has a basswood body with a traditional Tele pickup in the bridge position, the pickup being alnico magnet. The neck pickup is a humbucker with a ceramic magnet. The guitar has the traditional 3 way selector, with a volume and tone control, the tone control being a push/pull style splitting the humbucker to single coil mode. The tuners are Grover style, and hold tuning very well. The splittable humbucker in the neck is the real kicker on this. The guitar was made in Indonesia. The body is made from basswood with binding on the body, bolt on maple neck, and the guitar is string thru with the old "ashtray" style bridge with the 3 barrels that the adjust the string height. // 9

Sound: The pickups have a good sound, which really surprised me. The neck pickup has that Tele twang and snap and the neck pickup gets that dirty sound when pushed and when the tone is rolled back it gets a surprisingly good jazz sound. In the middle position with the neck pickup split it gets a real good Tele sound and when in the neck only position, it also gets the Tele sound. For a guitar priced in the 300 dollar range new, it gets an excellent sound. Definitely rates with the MIM Teles. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish are very good, and overall the guitar is solid. The volume and tone controls are easy to work and the 3 way selector works flawlessly, no noises or interferience with the sound. The guitar is used, but the setup is fine for me. THe neck has a nice feel to it and the fretwork is fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is solid, which is what I like. I traded a Squier Tele Custom II straight up for this guitar and I am very happy, the guy I traded with wanted my Tele to modify and do some special things to so we are both happy. I feel that the finish, the hardware and overall setup on this guitar is better than the Squier, and as far as playing, I would play this guitar without a backup, it is that solid. The finish is very good, and the blue color is deep and has a nice white binding around the guitar. As far as the strap buttons, I replaced them with eye hooks which I do with my guitars with the exception of my Epiphone Dot. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been really surprised and pleased with how well this guitar plays and sounds. I love Teles, and with this one, the fact that the neck humbucker can be split to a single coil, I feel I have the best of both worlds with Tele custom and traditional Tele. The alnico bridge single coil matches well with the ceramic humbucker so Jerry Reid who designed the guitar for Tradition has done a great job. It's not a Fender, but in my opinion, it rates right up with the MIM Teles and is superior to the Squiers. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely get another one. I have owned Fender Telecasters and I really like this one, and I now have the two favorite guitars I like. The Epiphone Dot which is a good 335 style model and the Tradition gives me the Tele style that I like with the added bonus of the split coil humbucker in the bridge. // 9

Comments