Escape review by Traveler Guitar

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Traveler Guitar: Escape

Purchased from: eBay

This guitar is not designed for quality sound. It's designed for portability into potentially harsh climates. It's virtually silent to play. I play mine through either my Bose noise canceling headphones or through one of the mini Danelectro Honeytone amps. The active pre-amp has treble, bass, and volume controls, and an on/off switch.

This guitar has been my saving grace when I'm on extended road trips. It fits into a frame pack. It fits into a suitcase. It's hard to get tuned but stays that way once in tune. It's extremely hard to replace the strings, I threw a set of Elixir Polywebs on it and I don't replace strings often. If it were lost or stolen, that would be no great loss. I would buy another just like it. For the price, it's one durable and useful little instrument. It's not a Fender, nor was it designed to be.

This guitar will withstand about anything. It's solid, it's a piece of pine and a piece of oak with a few electronics, pulleys and tuners. Strap buttons are solid (2" wood screws into the block). I would not use it at a gig. It's designed for practice, not for performance.

The guitar is made up of 2 solid pieces of wood. It's not hard to setup and remain setup. The truss rod is exposed and a key is provided for quick adjustments as you enter/leave interesting climates. It has no finish. For what it's designed for, finish is irrelevant.

This is an odd instrument. It is a silent guitar designed to fit into a Standard-sized suit case, to survive emersion, dropping, and endless inspection by TSA. Mine was manufactured in approx. 2004. Details are sketchy. It's a solid piece of pine with holes bored in it for tuners with an oak neck with an ebony-like fretboard, no head stock. Yes, it's a full-length guitar, strung in reverse from the nut to the bridge, around pulleys to the tuners on the back, with convenient holes through to the front side so you can actually tune it from the front. It's not what you would choose to play, that is, unless you were on the road and simply wanted a guitar to keep you company in a cold Edmonton hotel in January. It includes an active pre-amp, powerful enough to Drive headphones. It's definitely unique. For it's features, I must give it high ratings.

crookedpath
    It's been over 2 years since I originally wrote this review and the guitar is going strong. On a hiking trip, the preamp stopped working for a while after a pouring rainstorm. I blew out the electronics and installed a new battery and the preamp returned to normal. On an interesting side note... I'm playing that same set of Elixir Polyweb strings as 2 years ago. Gotta love Elixir strings!!!
    chickrawker
    id almost want to just bring my real guitar with me. even tho it would probly be a pain
    jo3myster
    that doesnt even look like a guitar that would most def. be on the very bottom of to buy list if it was even on there