Double Wing Custom Review

review (1) pictures (2) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Double Wing Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2009

Price paid: € 2300

Purchased from: Trayser Exhibition - Frankfurt Germany

Features: I found Trayser guitars online and over the last year had one custom built for me. The guys, George and Chris could not have been nicer and sent pictures as the guitar was being built. I have 44 guitars and now consider this my finest playing piece. I travelled to Frankfurt, Germany from Chicago to meet them and pick it up with my 18 year old son. I eneded up buying 3 because they played so well and sounded so great. You can see the 3 I bought on their web page at: trayser-guitars.com I own the 2 amber and 1 red custom double wing. The guitars attracted me because of their unique design. I have a number of semi-hollow body guitars and find the tone to be warmer. I am a tone guy. These were all made in 2005. It has a flame maple top and and a beautiful mahogony back. It has the Standard 5-way tone selector. It has 2 single coil and one hot rail pic up. The variety of sounds I get makes this my favorite guitar. The all around craftmanship of the guitar is what made me buy all 3 for my 2 sons who play and myself. The inlaid abalone below the bridge is the first thing that everyone touches. The amazing this is that you can't feel it. This hand made beauty is a piece of functional ART. It may not be fair to compare it to mass made Strats and Tele's since it is hand made from scratch, but I was ready for something special. It has Sperzel tuners and in the last 2 weeks I have tuned it twice. // 10

Sound: I play everything style wise. My amp of choice is a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. I am a tone guy first and last. This guitar gives me the fat clean sounds I love and have a foot pedal with the amp that gives me all the distorion I need. The hot rail pickup really screams when you need to solo hot. Switching the 5 way there eliminates the need for even hitting the foot pedal again. The guitar is dead quiet. My sons amber one does not have the hot rail and I miss the flexibility that it offers. I wouldn't change a thing sound wise. It is making me play more and better... // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, these are custom guitars. The set up and finish are first rate. The finish is spectacular. Everyone wants to pet it. The book matched flame maple is Killer. The maple neck on my son's has a brighter sound with some real punch to it. My rosewood neck simply felt better in my hand the moment I picked it up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Rarely play out. I have two albums finished and self produced. There was a guy at their booth at the NAMM of Europe called Music Messe Who pounded on the guitar for 4 days. He couldn't make it go out of tune. The finish is a thin clear lacquer and there were no imperfections anywhere. I don't see a need for a back-up guitar for a live gig with this quality a piece. I did pay more than a Strat price, but see it as a better deal than a high end PRS. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing 38 years. I own everything from a 1917 Gibson L3, old Gibson jazz boxes, semi-hollow Epiphone Sorrentos, many Strat and Tele's, Taylor and Gibson acoustics, and 2 Casio PG 380 synth guitars. Best synth guitar ever made. I will treasure these guitars forever. It is theri uniqueness and craftsmanship, plus the sounds it makes that makes all my other guitars seem almost plain. Remember though, I got to design every piece of this guitar to my liking. I never thought of calling Fender to have a Strat buit for me. That is part of the beauty of dealing with just two Austrian guys for your own wishes to be made come true. I may buy another soon before they get famous and charge me more...I did splurge last week and bought a hand tooled case to give the guitar the home it deserves. The case it came with has a zipper and not latches. I haven't met a zipper that won't fail. Upgrade the case will ya guys! I will own this guitar until my dying day. Anyone want to buy any Strat or Tele's? If you are near to St Charles, IL or Bozeman, MT you are welcome to stop by and try her out... // 10

Comments