Devastator Review

8.5
review (1) pictures (5) user comments vote for this gear:
Devastator Reviewed by: stevenreedo5, on december 10, 2014

Purchased from: Used Gear Reseller

Features: Made in 2009 and I don't know where it was made. It says USA, but I've read a lot of things that may indicate otherwise. 24 frets, set neck double cutaway guitar with three way switch and 2 humbuckers, TTM brand. Floyd Rose Licensed tremolo. It has a nice fat neck, which I didn't know I'd like until I played it. Volume and tone which both work more smoothly than on any guitar I've owned. I have no idea what it's made from, since the whole thing is painted, but my guess would be Basswood, since it's so light. // 8

Sound: It sounds amazing for hard rock and metal. The tone is rich, warm and breaks up nicely. I frankly couldn't tell you much about the other tones, since I haven't used them much. I never play it through an amp. I use Studio One DAW and Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 and it sounds amazing. I've played other guitars through this rig and they all sound different, so the software is not compensating for a bad input sound. If you use Guitar Rig, I use the Metal preset "God's Love" and back off on the reverb a bit. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used and it was in bad shape. The tremolo was way wacked, the action was bad and it needed to be cleaned. Fixed all of those things and it turned out pretty nice. Nice fretwork with cool inlays, but it has the worst flame graphic on front that I've ever seen. Here's what makes me think it's not a USA made axe: One of the stud holes for the tremolo is drilled so that it's halfway out of the big rout for the springs and block in back. They fixed it with epoxy and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but that's a big screw up to let get out into the stores. The fretwork is nice and the paint looks great. It's able to have pretty low action with no buzz. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig, so I can't say how well it stands up to punishment, but it seems solid. The paint job is really nice. The Floyd Rose is pretty nice for a licensed version - Brass, not Zinc. The tuners are solid and don't slip. The Pots are small, but they sound good and don't crackle. Strap buttons are nice and solid with a big bulb on the end to keep the strap in place. I most likely would bring a backup if I gigged with it since the Floyd Rose has a flaw that could be disastrous. It stays in tune well and doesn't go out of adjustment. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard rock mostly and this guitar does it perfectly. It's the easiest to play, most responsive guitar I've owned, and I've owned a lot. If you run across one, look it over before you buy it to make sure it's solid. This was not taken care of by the previous owner, and it sat for a while at the shop, but after a bit of clean up and care, it turned out to be a great instrument. I don't care to add to the debate as to where these are made or if they're a good company. I will say for the record that this is a very nice instrument that adds a lot to my creative flow due to it's ease of playing. // 8

Comments