Avenger X77 Review

7.9
 2,818
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Avenger X77 Reviewed by: Dio773 & D4ve, on july 25, 2006

Features: My X77 was made in 1968, in Japan. It has a 21 fret laminated rosewood neck; the body is made of maple. The finish is a beige/creame colour. It is a Telecaster with a plain string-thru tele-style bridge, with active electronics. It has 2 humbucker pickups and push/pull style tone knobs that cut out one side of each pickup. It is a front load, so if you buy one get a 90 degree hook-up. It has a 3-way switch and non-locking tuners. // 9

Sound: It fits well because it creates a large range of sounds, and you can do anything from Country to Heavy Metal on it. For amps I usually use Peavey Bass, or Audition 110. I normally play with either DigiTech Grunge or Ibanez delay. I have gone from playing Heavy Metal on it to Celtic and so on (it has a very large variety). But it sometimes has problems with pinch harmonics. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was okay but could be lowered a tiny bit, and the pickups were low enough not to touch the strings if you were fretting off them, but high enough to get the best sound out of them. I haven't found many flaws big enough to complain about except that the switch can ware out a little if it is hit too rapidly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very durable and but not invincible. It can withstand live playing and repetitive use. Since the guitar is almost 40 years old and the pickups work good as new, and the strap buttons have never come loose on me I would say it is solid. I would loose it at a gig without a backup, it has a lot of scratches, chips, and Tool marks but it still hasn't lost it's Shine or sound. The finish is very thick and I'm not sure how the person before me chipped it the way they did. // 10

Overall Impression: It fits well with all styles of music, and I have been playing for about 3-4 years. I also have a Cruiser Crafter and a classical guitar (both very well made). If I could have asked the person I bought it from I would have asked if the tuners were stock. If it were stolen I would probably cry for a few days and search until I died to find a new one. It stays in tune very well and is very versitile. It is worth more than some guitars (it's worth about $1200 Canadian) so if you pick one up for cheap you are lucky. // 9

Comments