VP820 review by Vantage

Vantage: VP820

It suits almost any type of rock/hardrock/punk/punk rock and that just suits me fine! I use it with an Hughes & Kettner, Attax 80 (and the amps natural distortion). It sounds just great! The Distortion sounds like a fat beeish sound (which is great for rythm guitar). It's just noisy when the distortion is turned on (not so unexpected because the gain is turned to max along with much mid and treble). it's rich and full! And it can scream and bleed. The tone itself is pretty distinct.

I play punk rock and this is my dream when I found it! I have played almost 3 years and this with my amp is a great match! I would turn really depressed if somebody stole this(cause I can't buy it as it is again)! This is my favourite! I love the sound, but it goes out of tone if you hit it to something (I don't mean smash, but hit something with it). I got it instead of my Squier Bullet because the Bullet is just noisy and has a sound with too much treble and lack bass.

This guitar does it all! I accidently dropped it with the head first, it got a little scratch and got untuned but no more then that! The hardware will last at least 10 years more! And the finish is awesome! It doesnt't get scratched easily! that's what I lacked on my Squier Bullet!

Well. When I got it from my teacher it was a mess! No bridge, no strings. Scratchy here and there. But I made a bridge myself and it looks really nice now. The pickups was nice though! But the neckpickup was the only one who worked. I can imagine it was a dream-budget-guitar when the one Who bought it got it!

This was made in problably 1970-75 in japan. It has 22 frets and have a wide neck as a Gibson but thin as a Fender! Perfectly for my taste! The frets themselves are pretty fat! It's a laminated top I think. The body is a double cutaway. The wings are made of Walnut and the center of Maple, it's a solid body and the neck is not a bolt-on-neck, it's the one who's naturally carved with the body (whatever you call it). Really nice anyway! Stringthru body it is with 2 volume 2 tone and 2 mini knobs (which I honest don't know what it is for.) And the pickups are two uncovered humbuckers!

bobcom52
    Interesting to find this old thread. The VP820 is one of two electrics I have kept from years of club/pub work. Purchased in the early 80's after some time testing some Gibson LP and SG models that were my initial first choices to complement my single coil guitars. I thought it the superior guitar.
    richerthanlenny
    heya, just had 1 question. my pops gave me a vantage IVS695 some few years ago. I was just wondering if there was any difference between the one posted above. It LOOKS identical, but i dont really know.
    richerthanlenny
    hi, i received a vantage VS695 from my dad. I was just wondering if there was a difference between my model and the one posted above? They look identical to me, but then again, i dont know much.
    kribela
    hi.. i have a vantage guitar almost like that. the nr on the guitar is 82252.. wondering how much it is worth.. got it from a friend.. cant find it on the net.. tnx=)
    takeitawaybob
    Hey kribela, sorry for the late post Your vantage is quite the beauty, just get the freakin GNR stickers and shit off it....it's making me sad! You're a very lucky man if you got given that, i can tell you it was made probably somewhere around 1980-1983, hard to tell without a model number, however, the best part is it was made by a guitar factory that operated in japan by the name of Matsumoku. Do abit of searching on the net, you'll find out these guitars are highly sought after for their impressive build quality. I'm guessing it's a set-neck model from the pictures with a coil tap. If you've got any more questions man, feel free to let me know and i'll try my best to answer them...more people should know about these guitars and where they came from!
    Aadieu
    It's a late 70s - early 80s Japanese guitar, made by Matsumoku. Should be comparable to lowend Gibsons. In other words, WAY better than any Squier bullet.