Metal Axxe Razer review by Vintage

Vintage: Metal Axxe Razer

Purchased from: Gear4Music

It suits my music very well, the pickups work surprisingly well for the price. I play mostly rock but bought this guitar (my first) for metal. I bought a BB Blaster amplifier along with the guitar so that is what I used it with, and with that particular amp, when used with distortion made a very gritty, distorted sound, however with my Roland: Microcube, when used with distortion it plays well with a rich overdriven, distortion. It has a lot of feedback and doesn't have a lot tonal variation but for 180 pound guitar what can you expect, what tone it does have is pretty Standard.

For my style of music this guitar was great, for a bit then I discovered that there was a lot better out there. I have been playing for 2 years and own 8 guitars and out of all of them this is the only true metal guitar and it does the job for the time being, since I do not play metal in my band. I probably would buy another one if it was stolen just because of its price and nostalgic reasons. I love how light the guitar is, I all the time I have been playing which I know isn't long but I played hundreds of guitars and never have I played a lighter guitar. I hate the amount of feedback that the guitar produces.

I wouldn't play this guitar without a backup live, for the simple fact that it is not a gigging guitar in my eyes it just doesn't have the quality or the sound. The hardware will last I'm sure especially since it has a matte finish. Strap buttons are solid and took a lot of effort to take off.

The guitar has never been set-up professionally, because of the fact that it's not worth it, the action is high which allows for comfortable bends which was what I was looking for as a beginner. The pickups were set up poorly and had a sloppy tilt. It had no other flaws which I can think of.

Probably made in China. 24 fret, rosewood thin neck. Satin finish over a wood which I can't identify. Asymmetric double cutaway shaped body (looks similar to the ESP Viper). Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 3-way selector. An extra feature which I have discovered after taking off the tone knob, it can pop up and click into place which provides a darker tone, whether this is supposed to happen I just don't but it does make a difference and is quite a novel feature. There are 2 uncovered Wilkinson humbuckers. It has 3 a side Wilkinson tuners which are non-locking. I think it came with a couple of tools.

niggler
    There's two versions of this guitar, theres a pink one with a trem and a black one with a tune-o-matic bridge I own this guitar and it is ugly as hell, but sounds acceptable, 24 frets, the action on mine isn't too bad. but seriously don't buy this shit
    Vrstone87
    exaggerate much? You gave it an 8.2, yet the action is really high, there is quite a bit of feedback, and you don't think it has good enough tone or reliability for live performance. Wow.
    Vrstone87
    richard_edwards
    ##_Guitar-newb
    richard_edwards wrote: and.....if it was stolen you'd get another one??? even though its ugly as sin, light (which is usually bad in the guitar world) and produces a load of feedback! there are better guitars for 180 quid, mate. please, scour the market.
    lol, gay boy. He clearly said for nostaligic reasons, nothing else.
    emr_steelmech
    nariek
    Firstly, why is everyone getting so lairy over one review, calm down, i'm really surprised by the amount of feedback this review got. Secondly the model of the guitar that I have has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and has a satin black finish; which is far more tasteful than the hideous model that they put up for this guitar. Thirdly the ratings were all relative to the price that was payed and I think that the guitar is pretty good for the amount of money spent on it. Fourthly to emr_steelmech the reason why I put the in Pounds was because I live in the UK. Unfortunately in England we are not blessed with the US prices for guitars and have to fork out far more because of shipping costs etc. Fifthly I apologise for not knowing about the coil split pickup which I really should have known about but thanks to ConfusedBirdman anyway.
    Vrstone87 wrote: Oh ya, and that is definitly not a TOM brigde in the picture. TOM's are set, not tremelo.
    ConfusedBirdman wrote: That tone knob is a coil split man. Cmon, two years, 8 guitars and you don't know your gear?
    emr_steelmech wrote: rating did seem a bit high for how you described it...for 180 pounds (355 dollars according to XE.com currency converter) you can get a pretty nice sounding Ibanez, or ANYTHING thats better than that guitar really...
    GoatMojo
    I have this exact same guitar and i love it! I also have a roland microcube which i believe works well with it. I would push your rating to a 9 as it works like a charm to play my metal, but i cant work out the distortion on the amp, can u message me or add my email to help me louisbm@hotmail.co.uk Cheers
    6will0w4
    I have played one of these. It completley took me by surprise i thought it would play and sound like a bag of shit but it was actually pretty good. its brilliant for tremelo picking!