Metal Axxe Razer Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 04/04/2007 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Vintage: Metal Axxe Razer
The straightforward pickup volume and tone controls on the Razer, in conjunction with the 3-way toggle, also offer additional versatility thanks to a coil tap facility, giving single coil tones alongside the powerful double coil pickup sounds.
 7.5
 8.2
 6.7
 1,500
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Axxe Razer Reviewed by: nariek, on april 04, 2007

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Features: Probably made in China. 24 fret, rosewood thin neck. Satin finish over a wood which I can't identify. Asymmetric double cutaway shaped body (looks similar to the ESP Viper). Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 3-way selector. An extra feature which I have discovered after taking off the tone knob, it can pop up and click into place which provides a darker tone, whether this is supposed to happen I just don't but it does make a difference and is quite a novel feature. There are 2 uncovered Wilkinson humbuckers. It has 3 a side Wilkinson tuners which are non-locking. I think it came with a couple of tools. // 8

Sound: It suits my music very well, the pickups work surprisingly well for the price. I play mostly rock but bought this guitar (my first) for metal. I bought a BB Blaster amplifier along with the guitar so that is what I used it with, and with that particular amp, when used with distortion made a very gritty, distorted sound, however with my Roland: Microcube, when used with distortion it plays well with a rich overdriven, distortion. It has a lot of feedback and doesn't have a lot tonal variation but for 180 pound guitar what can you expect, what tone it does have is pretty Standard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has never been set-up professionally, because of the fact that it's not worth it, the action is high which allows for comfortable bends which was what I was looking for as a beginner. The pickups were set up poorly and had a sloppy tilt. It had no other flaws which I can think of. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this guitar without a backup live, for the simple fact that it is not a gigging guitar in my eyes it just doesn't have the quality or the sound. The hardware will last I'm sure especially since it has a matte finish. Strap buttons are solid and took a lot of effort to take off. // 8

Overall Impression: For my style of music this guitar was great, for a bit then I discovered that there was a lot better out there. I have been playing for 2 years and own 8 guitars and out of all of them this is the only true metal guitar and it does the job for the time being, since I do not play metal in my band. I probably would buy another one if it was stolen just because of its price and nostalgic reasons. I love how light the guitar is, I all the time I have been playing which I know isn't long but I played hundreds of guitars and never have I played a lighter guitar. I hate the amount of feedback that the guitar produces. // 9

Comments