Metal Axxe Wraith review by Vintage

• Reviewer's score: 4.4 Poor
Vintage: Metal Axxe Wraith

Purchased from: music shop

I play all kinds of music but I always come back to playing Heavy metal. I play through a marshal 30watt and sometime I will just use the effects from my Boss BR532 however you can't really tell how good a guitar sounds if you are using digital effects, for a better idea play through am amp on clean sound. To be honest this pups on this guitar are rubbish and the electrics are crap cheap and for all intensive purposes useless. I routed out the cavities and put in classic 57s and a Fender noiseless single coil about the same impeadence as the humbuckers and routed the control cavity for full sized pots and Orange drop caps now not only does this guitar look mean it now sounds like the axe it should have been. Please only do custom jobs to your guitar if you know what you are doing. I will rate the sound to what it sounded like out of the shop and not what it sounds like now.

Now that this guitar is customized it plays most metal brilliantly and even sounds good playing blues but because the guitar looks so crazy you would expect to see it in a heavy metal band/thrash etc. This guitar is far better than some guitars 2 or 3 times its price but only after some time effort and money being spent on this guitar. For a guitar the Axxe Wraith is rubbish and not worth the money but as a guitar project it has worked and rewarded me many times over, if I lost this guitar I would be heart broken but I seriously doubt that I would find another Axxe Wraith with the good quality neck and finish as is what my guitar has, for that reason alone I will rate this guitar how I feel about it now (and try and forget the nightmares thanks to the stock pups and electric) lol.

I had tried this guitar with the stock pups and the answer was an embarrassing NO it did not survive live playing, I got through the gig thanks to a good sound engineer who had to lower or heighten the volume on the pa system as the guitar pups would be quited one second then distorted loud the second, possibly due to earthing problems within the pups themselves. I would not recommend doing gigs with any guitar without a backup (like I did). Now that the guitar has been customized I would gig with the guitar and yes it would survive but I wouldn't try it without a backup. Again I shall rate this with the stock equipment.

Having fitted gauge 9 strings and set the hight and intonation this guitar holds tune for ages even after vigorous playing for hours (the true test of a guitar) any guitar can be fitted with better pups etc but if a guitar can't hold its tune then it useless. The low profile frets were flawless on my guitar which again seems to be a rare thing for these guitars. I shall rate this low as it is hard to find a floyd rose bridge that needed as much setting up as mine did.

This was my second guitar that I have bought, the Axxe Wraith was built around 2004 (the old discontinued model) with a slim neck and medium frets this guitar can be used for serious lead solos. The floyd rose double locking bridge is a pain when it comes to changing strings but it holds tune better than some Gibsons and Fenders that I have played. It has one volume and one tone and a five way selector switch that operates a h/s/h configuration.It seems that I was one of the lucky few that bought this guitar and had a good fitted neck etc (always try out a guitar before you buy it doesn't matter who makes the guitar if you to $20 or $20, 000 if a guitar doesn't feel or play right to you don't waste your money). The basswood body and maple neck are set together nicely on my guitar which also seems to be a rare thing coming from these guitars.

alles7
    that is by far the worst looking gutar i've ever seen... wtf were they thinkin?!
    EpiExplorer
    for all intensive purposes
    Normally not this nitpicky but, ffs, INTENTS AND PURPOSES. Which sounds like a complete contradiction to everything you said about it: 'Its plays blues, but its completely useless, even though I just said it isn't'. But it is ugly as all hell.
    Ibeanez
    If you ate charcoal and razor wire and took a dump on top of some cheap pickups, it would look like this.
    Zan595
    I know nothing of it, didn't even read the review. But I've seen enough to state this is by far, the ugliest god damn guitar I've ever seen.
    LeakyFlask
    MaggaraMarine wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: This is the first time when I hear someone complains about Wilkinson pickups. I agree Seymour Duncans are better (but Fender are worse), however, if the pickups weren't good, why did the guy bought the guitar in the first place? I myself never bought something I didn't like. Even the slightest shadow of a doubt made me reject the instrument and pick another one. But I agree it's one of the ugliest guitars available. Maybe on Mars you might find an uglier one. Agree. I don't get it why people buy guitars with crappy pickups and then upgrade them. The guitar should sound good when you buy it. Same with amps. People first buy a crappy amp and then a huge pedalboard. The amp should sound good without pedals and the pedals should only be... well... effects. Guitar -> amp is the way to go for your main sound.
    SOADbeast
    just looking at the damn shape of this thing makes me want to kick a baby in the mouth
    MaggaraMarine
    LeakyFlask wrote: Agree completely about the amp part, but I do get why people buy guitars whose stock pickups aren't amazing. If it plays absolutely amazing and sounds superb unplugged, then it might just be worth spending some money on a pickup upgrade rather than buying a guitar with better pickups but worse feel. It's easy to mod a well built guitar to make it sound good, but it's hard to mod a good sounding guitar to make it feel nice.
    Yes but many times a guitar with crappy pickups sucks in playability too. Of course if the guitar feels great and sounds great unplugged you can change pickups. But if it doesn't sound good with stock pickups there's no point buying it. I'm not saying that it should sound great but it should at least sound decent.
    Megdidar
    I wish I could say this is the ugliest "metal" guitar I've ever seen but I've seen one or two that were uglier.
    rv_phoenix
    W>O
    $ 250, come on ! it's too ****ing expensive.. it should've been 5 bucks
    MaggaraMarine
    Darth_Pietrus
    Why did the reviewer buy this if he thinks its so ugly??? You might not know how it sounds but you always know how it looks!?
    evileenz
    this was my review and firstly this guitar was made before wilkinson started working with vintage guitars. "not wilkinson pups" second i bought the guitar on how it felt to play and at the time I only had a crappy 10 watt amp and wasn't even sure if I would stick at playing the guitar.so why and pay out for an expensive guitar if you are just trying it out. the gig was the first time I actually got to really hear the guitar so something came lose during transit. lastly the guitar picture above is the newer model (the one with wilkinson pups) my one is a red colour and a different shaped body and headstock. UG posted the picture and I couldn't find on online but I have seen a few on ebay. noted if I knew what I know now back then I would never of bought this guitar hence the harsh review but like I said as a luthier project it has been very rewarding
    evileenz
    pato15 I have played lots of guitars but that doesnt mean that I own them. or can't anyone who has more than7years guitar experience give buying advice unless they have more than two guitars? does my review state that I never bought another guitar after that one? please actually read the review. I tried to keep it as short as possible and to the point. someone also said that I didn't like the shape of the guitar fact is I think the shape of this guitar (not the one pictured above) is its best feature
    pato15
    how is the reviewer so competent at changing the electronics when this is only his second guitar?? and if his first guitar was a gibson or fender why would he buy this piece of s***t?? btw.. if its only your second guitar dont go telling people how they should buy their guitars as if you have heaps of experience...