V100 review by Vintage

Vintage: V100

Purchased from: DV247

The sound of this guitar, through different amps is quite versatile, mainly due to the PAF pickups, which will go from some nice cleans, to a hard rock distortion. However, it should be noted that you'd probably need higher output pickups to be doing crazy black death metal riffin'. The neck pickup has some nice thick lead tones on offer, and roll back the tone pot a bit, and add some gain, and you have a particually nice 'woman tone' (think 'sunshine of your love') Clean things up and you have a full smooth clean. However, overdriven, the neck pickup can begin to sound muddy playing chords quite quickly to the point where the sound has no definition. For riffing and rhythm, I prefer the bridge pickup, which has a sharper, brighter, more defined sound. Clean, and you can get some great country twang out of it, and distored, some great rock tones if you play with you amps EQ a bit. With both pickups selected, you can get some throaty, expressive blues tones if you set your amp so it is slightly breaking up.

I've talked about a lot of problems with this guitar but they're all pretty much tiny problems. The bottom line is that this guitar sounds good, it's a joy to play, and you ain't gonna find anything better in the price range, and of that I'm serious. I did a lot of research before I bought this guitar. I looked at squiers, Ibanez, epiphones, esps and plenty others, and this beat the lot, I was a little suspicious, because this isn't a well known brand, but this guitar is worth plenty more than the asking price and you won't regret getting your hands on one.

The finish seems quite strong, but has picked up scatches over the months I've had it, I think it will last for now. Most of the hardware seems good, apart from the flimsy feeling pickup selector. However it's not all good. I have some trouble with the bottom strap button, which constantly comes loose and needs to be retightened. After about 6 months of owning the guitar, the washer and nut that hold the input jack fell off, and I had to open up the back panel of the guitar, push the input jack on, and screw the washer and nut back on, however, I should have seen this coming. Whenever the washer comes loose, you can retighten it, usually by hand, and you should know when it's coming loose. So, I'd use this for a gig, but I'd bring a backup guitar if I was rich which I'm not.

Take a glance at the V100, and it's virtually indistinguishable from a Standard Les Paul. Of course, it has it's differences (e.g. sharper cutaway), but the point still stands, that this guitar looks pretty damn good. The finish was impecable, and you only notice the minor imperfections (which are Standard in a budget guitar) when you look closely. The pickups were fine, the action was nice and low. My only complaints are the discoloured inlays (some of which are slightly yellowy) and some of the plastic parts, which seem a bit soft and bendy for the job.

A good old LP copy. Made in China, mahogany body, flame maple top, single cut-away. Two Wilkinson Vintage PAF style pickups, which are loosley based on the original PAF, designed by Seth Lover for Gibson. Standard Gibson style 3-way toggle switch and one tone and volume pot for each pickup, which is useful. Tune-O-Matic bridge, and Wilkinson Deluxe tuners, which do a fine job of staying in tune, especially for such a cheap guitar. All electronics are passive (so they don't need batteries). I got mine in a gorgeous cherry sunburst finish.