V100 review by Vintage

Vintage: V100

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Kelly's Of Simcoe

I play a mix of everything, punk, metal, blues, you name it, I play it, and this guitar plays it all beautifuly. I'm playing out of a Peavy 130 special with a Behringer overdrive/distortion pedal, and that setup plus this guitar rivals the sound of any of the greatest guitarists (not saying that I'm better, I'm just saying it sounds as good if not better). The pickups don't feedback unless I make them and when I set the guitar down while it's still plugged in you wouldn't know it uless it moves and the strings vibrate. I play a lot of metal punk and rock'a'billy, and with this guitar all are not only possible but sound great, throw on some distortion and drop the tuning and you'll be getting all the metal vibes you could handle, flip on the overdrive and you'll have a great punk tone, or just keep it clean with some reverb and have a go at some Stray Cats tunes, all are suitable on this guitar.

I play a lot of metal, punk, and rock'a'billy and I couldnt ask for a guitar better suited to me. This is the second V100 I have owned (nothing was wrong with the other one, I just grew tired of the finnish, it was an Icon series so it was "pre-beatten" and I didn't like the look of it after a while) so obviously I love the guitar. I've been playing for two years now and already I found and own my dream guitar, if someone stole it, I would find the bastard that took it and give HIM an enema with a machine gun. I played every guitar in the store I bought it at, and at every guitar shop in my area (no joke)and I loved this one, even compared to the Gibsons I played. The only thing I wish this guitar had was a Bigsby trem system, but that's just a personal prefference.

I've been playing for two years and been playing Live shows for half of that time, and this guitar and its predicessor (same guitar, different finnish) stands up to all the punishment of being on stage, me and my left handed rythmn guitarist have smashed headstocks more than once and my guitar is fine, his was not as lucky. This guitar is an absolute tank, and whieghs as much as one, and the stock strap buttons were very sturdy, i swapped them out for some strap locks for some added security. I've accidently bumped into chairs and mic-stands and other guitarists while playing but if you looked at the guitar you wouldnt know it, nor would you believe that it had been played at all, not a single pick mark on the pickgaurd. The only reason i would ever have a back up for a gig would be for alternate tunings, and in the event that i break a string.

This guitar was perfectly set up from the time it was taken out of the box (I should know, I was the one Who took it out and put it up on the wall at the store I bought it from), not in tune but once it's in tune it'll stay that way untill you change it, the pickups were adjusted perfectly, nothing to worry about there. The only things wrong with it are the input gets a little loose but that's easy to fix, and the gold harware gets tarnished after a while, but some car polish gets rid of that pretty quick.

This guitar was made in '07 in the United Kingdom. It has 22 jumbo frets and, a (very fast) set mahogany neck. It has a solid mahogany Les Paul style body, two wilkinson humbuckers, a beautiful tobacco sunburst finnish, Tune-O-Matic bridge. This guitar uses two volume pots, one for each pickup, and two tone pots, again one for each pickup, a three way selector Switch, and wilkinson tuners. All hardware is gold finnished.