V100 review by Vintage

Vintage: V100

Purchased from: Music Matters

This suits my style perfectly, blues, classic rock, hard rock, but it can do other styles as well. My guitar teacher says it can do metal pretty well, and I would have to agree with him. I'm not a big metal player, but I would mess about a bit with it. And it brilliant. I am using it with a Marshall MG15FX, the new one, and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal. It is a perfect combination for this guitar. It produces a very thick and powerful sound on both pick ups. Obviously the neck is a lot thicker in tone, and it produces a perfect blues tone, or a singing melody, and the Bridge produces singing leads. Nothing to complain about. I did adjust the height of the Bridge pick up a lot. It's not the manufactures fault, it's just my preferences. All in all, two great pick ups that sound perfect for the guitar and the styles I play.

As I said I play blues, classic and hard rock, and it does them pretty well. I play sort of Guns n Roses to AC/DC and it does the reasonably well. Not so much AC/DC, but close enough, and I can get a decent Slash tone out of it. I have been playin for about 3 years This is my second guitar. My first was a Tokai SG, which is a good guitar, but this just beats it to hell. This guitar is perfect in my opinion, very minor flaws and perfect sound. Lost or stolen? You wouldn't get far with it, being so heavy, but I would get it again, or an Epiphone. All in all, a brilliant guitar, at a great price.

This guitar will stand playing live. I haven't played a full gig, but I've played a couple of songs live, and it does the job perfectly. The hardware will last a long time. I did swap the strap button for some Schaller strap locks. Being a heavy guitar, if it falls, it's gonna hit the ground hard. It's just to be sure. If I did play a gig, I would have a back-up. With my luck, I would break a string. But thats the only reason really. The finish is solid and would last a long time.

The action was perfect for me. No need to adjust the truss rod at all. As I said, I raised the pick ups a bit to get a crisper sound, but thats the only thing i changed on the guitar. Everything else is great. Bridge and tailpiece firmly fitted to the guitar. The finish is as solid as a rock. I've hit it against desk's, chairs, walls, people, and yes it scratches, but no cracks in the finish at all. One problem though, the fretboard is poorly done. It has dents and scratches even before I got it. It doesn't affect the sound, but is kind of annoying. The controls are solid, the pick up selector is really noisy when played through an amp, but thats the only flaw in this section.

I don't know what year or where it was made, but it was probably made in China or somewhere like that. Wilkinson tuners, which are ok but could be better sometimes a bit loose on the G string, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, 22 jumbo frets, trapezoid inlays, solid mahogany body, flamed maple top in a flamed honeyburst finish which is stunning whatever way you look at it. Although the red paint on edges, some of it may have ran before it dried, it's minor and you have to really look at it to see it. 2 Wilkinson humbuckers, which sound amazing. Nice thick tone on the neck pick-up on both clean and overdrive channels and the Bridge is perfect for solo's. I may swap them out for some Slash Seymour Duncan's soon, it would make this guitar absolutely perfect for me. Tune-o-matic Bridge and stopbar tailpeice, 2x tone, 2x volume, and a 3 way pick up selector. All the usual features of a Les Paul.