V100 review by Vintage

Vintage: V100

Purchased from: Oaktree Music Deals

Clean and bright on all settings. Great for Rock, Blues, Jazz. Pickups are a nice balance between humbuckers and single coils. Great crunchy sound with some gain thru Roland X30 amp. Very Quiet. No clicks, pops or static from pots or pickups... Quieter than my American Strat.

Playing for 30 years. I play mostly Rock/blues some jazz. My other guitars are American Strat deluxe and my favourite a strat style guitar that I built myself with a shaved down "hard V" neck. I bought this because I wanted a humbucker style guitar but with less muddy sound and I just HAD to have a gold top. Great Value. I have owned Ibanez and Epiphones but this one beats them all. If it were Stolen I would replace it with the exact model.

All good Quality Wilkinson Hardware. Never goes out of tune. Should withstand some hard gig work without a backup. But allways bring a backup. Solid strap Buttons but will be replaced by locking ones like the rest of my guitars. Thick Chrome Bridge and tailpiece. Finish is thick high gloss.

Reasonably well set up. Some buzz on lower frets, adjusting the truss rod fixed it. Nice low action. Some rough varnish on the neck/binding near the nut, fixed it with some polish. Lovely rosewood fingerboard... A bit dry after being removed from package but after a few rubs with some fast fret it shines.

Year? Not sure. Single cutaway. Tune-o-Matic Bridge. 3 way selector. Mahogamy neck rosewood fingerboard m.o.p trapezoid inlays 22 frets. Mohagany Body, Carved Maple Gold Top, High gloss finish. Wilkinson P90 style soap bar pickups (stacked Ceramic). Non locking Vintage Tuners.

rv_phoenix
    Shouldn't we all do the same with any guitar make in the world? Haven't you ever met a bland Fender Stratocaster or a dull Gibson Les Paul? Haven't you ever met an awkard sounding PRS SE? Etc. etc. It's common knowlegde you should seek your guitar listening to piles of various axes until you meet the right one. And don't forget somebody's garbage may be someone else's fortune: haven't you read thousands of comments, here at the UG, written by proud owners of crap, pretending their precious Dimaverys, Harley Bentons or Staggs are better than Fender, Gibson and ESP altogether? Vintage is a very consistent make. It makes great guitars at - sometimes - insane prices. Hundreds of guys who attented my performances congratulated me for my "Gibson" and my "Fender"! Nobody believes me it's a 300 euros guitar with no upgrade whatsoever.
    Maylor Lake
    I've tried quite a few v100s, from ordinary ones to ICONs and the AFD, Bonamassa and Lemon Drop model in a guitar shop in Holland. Some of them were a dream to play (actually all the ICONs and the special editions as mentioned above) but some were truly disappointing when it came to tone, playability and finish. And they all vary in weight. The ICONs had a reassuring weight (but not too heavy) and created all the marvellous tones ppl in this thread are so enthusiastic about, the necks were fine as well and the finish decent. The ordinary ones differed in quality (such as the amount of truss rod screwes in the head stock), two of four weren't as heavy and produced thinner tones. But the arctic white weighted a ton, the neck was thicker (and for me les playable) and tone lacked clarity and was muddier than the rest. So for all those who are thinking about buying a v100 (like me!) take some time to find the right one for you. Rgds, ML.
    cao_negro
    I recently bought the v100 goldtop. How things have changed since when I was a younger...you could spot a far-eastern made guitar a hundred yards away just by squinting your eyes at the finish. yep, those were the days as a teenager living in a small town in portugal. slim pickins...youd take one of those babies home and man, when you plugged that in (usually to some kind of equipment not suitable for guitar playing) first thing on your mind would be: "wow. is this too late to take up the accordion?" Few of us went on to playing guitar to this day! it was rough back then! Well, no more! The genius of it is that although there are no prizes for guessing where the good people at vintage drew inspiration for it, these guitars really do have quite a pleasing sonic character of their own, Stays in tune pretty good too, even after fair ammount of bending abuse! wouldnt trade it even for a guitar twice as expensive...those guys at vintage are on to something.
    Passey14
    mattwigan
    rv phoenix i tottaly agree. no stereotypes or special formula just individualism and uniqeness. rock on!
    thomsa
    What do you all recommend? The Vintage V100 or one of the Limited Edition Epi LP Studio Deluxe? I can't choose between them...
    rv_phoenix
    Passey14 wrote: I have wanted a les paul for years but have never had the money or commitment to playing.I now have the commitment but still no money!! thanks to all you guys who have reviewed the v100 I decided to keep an eye out for a bargain, it came in the shape of a beautiful wine red finish at just 120! I can't put the thing down, I also got a bargain spider iii 30 watt amp for 60 and the 2 of them together create some great sounds. thanks again to all who have reviewed both items as they went a long way to my purchases. Now I just need to improve!!
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. As you've said, now you have to improve. If I'm allowed to suggest you something, that would be... to improve on your amp. Spider III is not a good amp. Amps with digital modelling and built-in effects are cheap and leave you with bad habits. The worst of all is that, after a few years of playing on such amps, you ears will get used to 'emulated' sounds, instead of natural. Get rid of the Line 6 as quick as you can, save some pounds each month and, in an year, you could actually buy a decent all-tube amp. Then you'll get serious about playing. Good luck and many glorious licks on your superb Vintage V 100!