V100 review by Vintage

Vintage: V100

Purchased from: Gear4Music.com

The guitar can have a crunchy rhythm sound or a quite smooth lead tone simply by switching pickups. I am running the guitar through my Line 6 TonePort GX, and I've played with a wide range of tones and they seem to suit the guitar quite well. I usually play with a Satriani tone which suits rhythm and lead. The V100 seems to pretty noiseless when the pickup volumes are up, but when they aren't, there is a slight hum unless any grounded hardware is touched. I usually play Metal, Rock, Blues, Ska and Punk and it fits in well with all of these styles.

I play Metal, Rock, Blues, Ska and Punk and this guitar fits in well with all of them. I've been playing for 5 years, but I've only owned two guitars - this being the third - and the V100 makes a great addition to my collection. When I was buying it, I looked into other Les Paul copies, but this seemed to be of the highest quality. If this guitar were stolen, I would definitely buy another Vintage over an Epiphone. I own a Strat and an Ibanez RG, so a Les Paul style guitar is a good addition to a collection to have a wider range of tones. To sum this guitar up, If you're looking for a Les Paul type guitar for under 400, go for this; it's miles better than the competition.

The guitar seems to be very solid, putting up with me banging the headstock occasionally with no visible damage. The body has a thick gloss lacquer, which also looks very durable. Overall, the V100 feels very durable and I would certainly play it live and not need a backup.

Out of the factory, the intonation needed alteration, but this was easily fixed with a basic toolkit and is now perfect. The pickups and action were set perfectly, requiring no change. There doesn't seem to be any cosmetic flaws, although the pickguard looks to be made of a cheap plastic and seems poorly machined. All of the components seem to be of a high quality and there is ZERO rattling. The only other issue is that the high E string tuner is rather stiff and makes you hold the guitar away from you in fear of the string breaking. The 14th fret wire on the treble side was also slightly high, making the 12th and 13th frets buzz, but this was easily fixed.

The V100 is a Les Paul style guitar manufactured by Vintage. It has a flamed maple top, a mahogany body and Wilkinson hardware. The neck is also made from mahogany with a rosewood fretboard and 22 frets and pearloid crown inlays. On the headstock, you find Wilkinson Deluxe WJ55 tuners. On the hotter end of the guitar, you will find a pair of Wilkinson Double Coil pickups, two volume and two tone knobs - like you would find on a real Les Paul. On my V100 (Flamed Iced Tea finish) the hardware is chrome. Included with my purchase was a 2m cable and already had 9s fitted.