V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop' review by Vintage

Vintage: V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop'

Purchased from: dolphin music

I play fairly raw bluesy rock and this guitar does well. It has a rich full sound when played with either valves or solid state. I practice with a Fender Frontman and my gig amp is an all valve Carlsbro Sidewinder combo (1988 built, a Vintage amp now I suppose)I tend to use the amps dirty channels on the amps but also use a Tubescreamer Reissue 808, Ibanez AD9 Delay, Crybaby, Boss Chorus and Boss Volume Pedal. This guitar works well with all the above. Its a rock guitar out and out. Great for classic Zep, Clapton, etc and perfect for black keys style and the Foos too. Very versatile. Quiet generally but this depends on too many factors to assess. Certainly no noisier than average. Very nice clean sound too, especially on the neck pup.

If you were blind folded and handed this guitar plugged into the dirt channel of a half decent amp you would say "**** me this is good!". I don't buy very expensive guitar but have played em and this plays like an expensive guitar. My other guitars are a Tele Baja and a 1988 Japstrat. This is by far the most reliable and least troublesome guitar I have. For a few hundred quid its a must if you are looking for something Gibson-esque but don't want to spend the cash. For the money it has to be a 10 I'm afraid.

I have played this guitar loads and it hasn't missed a beat. The jack input has come loose once or twice but just got tightened up. One of the knobs came off but that was cos I whacked it against something. Stuck it on with superglue. No worries on this front.

Action low, factory set up is as it is really, hit or miss I find on any guitar, but this one wasn't bad. Has one choking fret way up there on the G string but it just need the frets fiddled with a bit and I haven't got round to it. It was beat up in the factory and truthfully the relic work isn't great but looks good from on stage I imagine. Nice weight and very nice balance. The relic wear on the back is particularly naff but the wear on the back of the neck is much more authentic. It's well finished overall with no stick outs anywhere. Nice binding on the neck and body and a solid fitted neck. The tuner hold tune really well.

Korean made I think, bought 2007. 22 frets, thin profile mahogany set neck with rosewood board. Mahogany body with flamed maple top. Factory relic'd. Sort of matt finish. LP style hardware, stainless steel. Wilkinson buckers. 3 way toggle. Bla bla you know what's on it.I have been playing 30+ years and don't look at the lemon drop as a budget guitar at all. It feels and plays quality.

Jonsyn
    I bought one a few months ago and I felt it was a keeper from the off. It has a certain quality which makes you want to play it and cherish it. Call it mojo, call it what you will, this guitar has that something special. I own Custom shop strats and I can honestly say that the playability and mojo thingy of the Lemondrop is as good. Sooo easy to play with a lovely low slinky action (10s) and resonance that puts it right up at the top of my list. The sound is big and sweet and fantastic for heavy stuff. It sounds absoloutely sweet with a good chunky riff double tracked. So full, warm, sweet, smooth with that crunchy edge to get it to cut through the mix. I like the feel of the satin finish to the body and neck too. Oh... And as a reviewer mentioned, the wear n tear isnt the best but it can be modified easily if you want. It still looks great and much more expensive looking than it actually is. It sounds great on my 1967 Vox AC30Top Boost. Jangly to massive overdriven rock.. And unlike an expensive Gibson, it lends itself to being modded without having a bad effect on resale value.. Top guitar!