VH51FR review by Vintage

Vintage: VH51FR

Purchased from: Abbey Music Studios Nuneaton

I play pop/punk, rock and jazz and this Vintage van-halen copy does it all with tonnes of tone and bite. Delivers just what you want it to. The Wilkinson pickups arnt expensive but they deliver great harmonics and bright through to rich tones. I play it with hybrid slinkies and its pretty fast although I am mainly rhythm. Better at the neck playin smoother tones, bridge could be brighter.

Great punk guitar! Played through a Zoom 606 sounds good, even better through Marshall AVT150! Wish it didn't have a floyd rose, I don't like them! If this broke I would definitely get it. I have played the original Peavey Van-Halen and the other music man Axl copy, this is better! And half the price! It's reliable, looks good, feels good! I wish it had a Seymour Duncan Invader and '59! Would sound amazing. Needs gold hardware.

Great live and in jams, never let me down and doesn't go out of tune (only with new strings). Hardware is good but looks bad (black on red). Strap buttons are great but I have replaced with locking strap buttons. I would play this anywhere without backups, it's thoroughly reliable and feels that way too! Finish is great, looks good and doesn't scratch easily (no scratch plate). Neck wood is a little soft though.

Equipped with a floyd rose so dive bombs are good and the black hardware looks bad on the crimson version, gold would suit much better, but it keeps in tune very well. It's a little heavy, but I can allow that because it gives it the rich feeling to it.

- Body: eastern poplar - Top: maple flame - Neck: maple - bolt on - Fingerboard: rosewood - Scale: 25.5/648mm - Frets: 22 - Neck Inlays: pearloid dot - Tuners: Wilkinson WJ807 - Vibrato: Floyd Rose Tremolo - Pickups: Wilkinson double coil x 2 (N) MWHBZ (B)MWHBZ - Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way toggle