VH51FR review by Vintage

Vintage: VH51FR

Purchased from: Northwich Music

I play a wide range of music, from metal to Indie to emo pop. With the humbuckers it's hard to get the softer sounds, and the bridge is a little weak, but with the neck humbucker and a little bit of overdrive (from an Ibanez PD7 bass distortion) you can get a pretty nice blues tone, coaxing a metal tone is harder, but It can be done. for the price, it does what I need it to do.

I bought this as my first guitar, being a bass player for just over 3 years now. despite noticing the obvious flaws with the frets I bought it, and it was a good investment. with D'Addario 10's it sounds reasonable. I own 3 other basses, a Cort C4, Vintage V940FL and Vintage EST96AF. Something to ask before buying it? for the trem bar! haha. If I lost it or it was stolen I would probably invest in something better, since I think these are out of production now. I love how it's a copy of EVH's Musicman/Peavey guitar, which looks relatively like a Telecaster (to me). If it had a Wilkinson trem I would consider it more, not really a fan of floyd rose tremelos!

It holds its tuning well, and having gigged my 2 Vintage basses I would trust this, they hold up well for the price, would probably withstand a gig aslong as it wasn't a screamo band throwing it around! Despite being a licensed bridge it is pretty sturdy, and the strap buttons are acceptable, as mentioned before the Machine heads are of a brilliant quality, the locking nut is reasonable (does it's job). The finish seems nice and thick for a guitar this price.

This is where the guitar was poor. the frets were very, very sharp on the treble end of the fretboard, and one of the screws on the bridge was dodgy. However, a quick filing and replacing the screw on the B with the one from the e sorted that problem. the bridge pickup was very very slanted, and had to be forced out because the routing for it was slightly too small, so unless you're keeping it stock expect to take a sanding block to the offending areas. The covers over the electronics and the bridge at the back are very, very tightly fitted, so if you're forever fiddling with the electrics or trem springs you'll either need to replace them, leave them off altogether or attempt to sand them to fit. The trem springs are sturdy, but I never use the trem and have it blocked off. The saving points for the guitar are the machine heads. Despite being a generic no-name, they are very, very sturdy! The locking nut is of an acceptable quality too. Some of the routing is sloppy, mostly where the bridge sits and in the electronics compartment, but for the price it's reasonable.

My model is actually the VH51FP (it has a purplish finish and chrome hardware instead of red and black) but technically it is the same guitar. I'm sure it's one of the older 03/04ish models, as it doesn't have wilkinson hardware.