VH51FR review by Vintage

Vintage: VH51FR

Purchased from: Strungoutguitars - Glasgow

I play many styles, mainly thrash metal, metalcore and hard rock. It works well for most, for thrash it has a nice bite. I am using a DigiTech RP90 into a speakers and I works great. It's noisy when on high gain but it's easily dealt with.

This guitar is worth it, it plays well and sounds great. The only problems are the cheap hardware, and the chips I mentioned. If it were lost I would purchase something different for convenience as the model is discontinued. My favourite thing is the unusual shape which makes me stand out. I did compare it to a Washburn Les Paul style, but like the brighter tone of this one.

The guitar would stand live playing, but I would put on strap locks, and a back-up because with a Floyd Rose it is difficult to change strings, re-tune etc.

The action was great, it was low and perfect for solos. The Bridge does not seem to work correctly, and goes out of tune is the tremolo is used often. As the guitar was purchased used I expected flaws, there were 2 chips, one at the Bridge and the other at the Bridge pickup. Everything was fine.

I am unsure of when this guitar was made, but I know it is a discontinued model. It is a 22 fret, Strat style bolt-on maple neck. The body is made of basswood and has a flamed maple top and it also has a handy cut away at the neck joint. The Bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo, it also features unbranded non-locking tuners and passive pickups. I believe mine was modified before I purchased it used because during researching it I found it came with black hardware, whilst mine was silver.