VR4000BTB review by Vintage

Vintage: VR4000BTB

Purchased from: Ebay baby! Hahaha score!

I play metal metal metal, it suits it well. Neck is thick (compared to my Jackson). Easy to string so a ideal back up guitar. Using a MG30DFX with a DOD Grunge and a Rocktek Distortion pedal, sounds awesome. Unfortunatly the solid body construction causes alot of 1st fret rattle, easily cured (ahem) by strippin the strings out and raising the nut (little bit of glue works).

I play metal all the time. Been playing for a little while I got a Jackson JDR-94 Concept as my main baby, using my lil MG30DFX amplification, routed thru my PC with guitarfx software with DOD Grunge and Rocktek Distortion pedal, also with Vintage metalaxe Razor (blb) and a Westfield Strat style bass. If I lost or somone half-inched the VR4000 id consider buying it but probably just buy a Epiphone SG (as I like them). The features and play are simular to the more basic (cheaper) Yamaha (H-S-H) but the Vintage just feels better.

The finish is prone to light scratches due to it being matt but they are easily rubbed out. I can see this guitar holding up against the test of time, I give it a thrashing whenever I wanna throw some abuse at somthing (Jackson too precious) and it's still alive and kicking.

Factory action was wikked, pickups set back to allow for personal preferance, I raised the adjustable bridge to compensate for the 1st fret rattle. No problems with the finish or anything apart from the nut being too low.

Nice little metal axe, 24 frets (a little sharp when sliding). Solid body contruction with a very very nice matt black finish (prone to getting dusty). Body is a cross between a ESP Viper and a Gibson SG, I love the tapered edge on the top, allows for comfortable play. 1 volume, 1 tone w/coil tap and 3-way selector. The Wilkinson twin humbuckers work well with the construction, this is truly a metal axe, very crunchy sound. The raised adjustable bridge acts as perfect rest and handy for palm muting, Wilkinson tuners dont let go, I've owned for 6 months and only had to tune it twice (I think).