VRS100 review by Vintage

Vintage: VRS100

Purchased from: Salop Music Center

This guitar is equiped with 2 Wilkinson covered humbuckers, which sound awesome with a bit of distortion on them it is definatly a guitar for the wannabe santana fans, or anyone who like their guitar to be loud. You may think becasue this guitar has fairly simple wiring (conventional tone and volume controls with a three way selector Switch) it would be fairly limiting for clean sound, but it gives out a sweet, clear sound when played clean. It is perfectly sufficient for a plump, smooth jazz tone and has a certian bounce about it. It is not, however, anyware near as nice sounding as its much more expemsive brother, but is still high up on the list for this price range.

This is my rock/ jazz guitar at the moment and it is perfectly capable of playing both at any volume. I have been playing fot 7 years and I also own an Ovation applause, a Santiago classical, a prosound BA-75 amp, a Korg AX1500G effects board and a custom built Strat copy. If the guitar were stolen or lost I would probably save up some more meny and buy a Telecaster. I love the look and the sound, I'm not amazed by the fact that if your not carfull it sounds like your playin' with elastic bands. My favourite part is the Vintage inlay on the 12th fret, simply becasue its different (not a fan of the dots). I compared it with a few other guitars that were a little less and a little moe money, but this one sounded the best and looked the best out of the 4 or 5 others I tried. The only thing I wish it had with it would be a second tone button so I could get a wider range of sounds.

This guitar can definatly withstand live playing. I'm not saying go all 'The Who' on its ass, but it is light and easy to play. The finish is quite durable and has definatly lasted (you can barely see any scratches that so appear). The buttons are very good, but I would still recomend usong strap locks on them, just in case. This guitar is very reliable, I have played it for 3 hours soldily and it has not even slipped once. it's still goin strong after hundreds of hours of playing. The plastic toggle Switch end may break (I replaced mine with a metal one after someone bashed the case and broke it).

For me the action was perfect, not to high not to low, there was a little buzz on it at first, but that disappeared the more I played it. The pickups were configured properly, they flowed well (as humbuckers should) and they were well set for the purpose they would be needed for. Rock! Mine had a very small dent in the neck pickup which was not a major problem, but the jack input was loose and actually came off the guitar when I pulled the cable out. But this was sorted by the shop techie and he even delivered it back to my house himslef when he did it. The only other thing was the covers in the back of the guitar, they had not been smoothed down so they looked untidy, but that was sorted witha bit of enry cloth and elbow grease.

As you may or may not know Vintage guitars were redesigned in 2005 by Trevor Wilkinson so I guess (as is a post Wilkinson model) that is was built in 2005 (same as year of purchase) and it was made in Vietnam. It has a set neck, made from maple, and has 24 medium frets on a rosewood fret board. The body is made from solid polymer with a maple top (it is flamed on mine). The body is based on Paul Reed Smith (PRS) guitars, hense the name, (VRS, standing for Vintage Rock Series) and is very close to the real thing cosmesticley. It is equiped with a Wilkinson Virato bridge in either chrome or gold depending on the model chosen (chrome in mine). The guitar has only 1 tone Switch for both pickups, 1 volume control and a three way toggle Switch, the latter is located in a position where it cannot be knoked while playing, unlike that of a Strat. The tuners are Wilkinson E-Z lock and are positioned in a way so that the strings are almost dead straight when they pass through, which cuts down of friction. The guitar comes with nothing but a wammy bar.