VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: Zings Music Ltd4

I generally play a lot of blues, blues-rock, rock and some metal here and there. It does exceptionally well with the string bending and vibrato I use, which is made easier by the supreme action. I generally use this guitar with my Kustom 10 watt amp and my home made Treble Booster Effects Pedal. It sounds very good with the amp, and is very versatile...with the pedal it is amazing. The humbuckers eliminate all feedback entirely when the guitar is standing, and give a powerful defined tone when in use. The amount of sustain that can be gained with a bit of tweaking is immense, and a warm tone is very easy to get with this guitar. Palm muting is very easy also due to the robust and comfortable bridge. It's hard to dislike this guitar on it's sound output...there's something there for everyone. The only sound I have difficulty with is the Clapton sound...but it is there!

I've been playing now for 4 years, and my gear is limited. I think my playing stock will be even more limited now! This guitar is ultimately versatile, and I'd like to stress that this guitar leaves the Epiphone SG's way behind, it's more effective, better quality, and much more cost effective. If lost, I would have to deliberate between another VS6 or a V100 (Les Paul style), as this was my original dilemma! In general, this guitar not only sounds excellent, but is very easy to work with and play...and has oodles of the 'wow' factor. A hit with the ladies! :) I would like at some point to take it into school to try it with the amplifiers there. That way I could see the guitar work to its near limitless potential. Overall, the best guitar on the market in this price range!

This guitar recently did a sterling job in a 'Golden Oldies' Night in which I performed...where it handled The Who, Eric Clapton and Deep Purple superbly with minor adjustment. All was perfectly in order, and it really does rock when turned up...very loud! The strap buttons on SG's in general are obscurely placed when considering the weight of the neck, and in concert you do need to hold the neck of the instrument in order to save yourself from a neck fatality! This in reality is the only downside of the guitar...however, it's a damn sight lighter than the Les Paul, and easily more adaptable and versatile. All is in perfect order, and the guitar lets you just go out and rock! No backup required, this axe will do you perfectly all night! A wide strap is required ideally with a strong leather end in order to hold the guitar and spread the weight well.

I had the action sorted on the guitar as part of the set up, so from the factory I have no idea. However, the set up I received was the best imaginable, with the perfect level of action that made playing laughably easy without the fret buzz that I had put up with for so long! The flatboard is nearly flat, beautifully finished and perfectly smooth, and the 22 frets are all superbly fashioned for easy navigation. The colour of the wood is a massive plus point on this guitar...the grain of the wood can be felt through the perfect Cherry Red finish. The colour is utterly superb...pictures do not do the axe any justice. Everything was perfectly set up...it even stayed relatively in tune through transit! This is another strength of the guitar...it can stay in tune forever! Utterly flawless, and much easier than any rivals...in fact, it can easily compete with the top Gibsons I've tried...

This excellent guitar was made in 2002, presumably in the United Kingdom. It is a 22 fret, double humbucker, rosewood fretboard, double cutaway SG-style guitar in a gorgeous Cherry Red finish. As with all SG's and copies has the Gibson-style 3 way selector Switch with a Rhythm and Treble and 'neutral' setting between the two. The buttons and switches are supremely well made, and far better than a majority of the copies I've seen (Epiphone included!)