VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: www.gear4music.com

It's quite clearly a guitar for metal and hard rock, and the electrics are well up to the task. The body feels like it can take some abuse (although I wouldn't want to damage it!) You can get a range of tones easily, my fave being a warm sound (both pickups open and mid-tone on the neck, no tone on the bridge pup) but you can quickly find nice sharp and harsh one (think the solo on Wicked World). I like to keep it clean with little or no effects and a basic amp, so read another review for how it copes then. The sound is clear and bright with little or no noise.

I play Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age, Mondo Generator and Black Sabbath mostly. So while there's some damn hard riffage, there's some mellow and calm intros and interludes in some songs. This guitar looks and sounds the part. It looks dead sexy, and sounds like you're Iommi himself. I'd like to fit some heavier gauge strings because it loses some tone on de-tuning but it still sounds great in C F Bb Eb. At this price, it's hard to fault. It's ideal for a beginner but an amature could be proud of it (a pro would probably prefer a genuine Gibson). This guitar kicks arse if you like heavy metal.

The guitar seems solid in all respects. The strap buttons ain't goin' anywhere, and the dials and Switch feel sturdy. Aside from the string I broke (my own fault) I've a lot of confidence in it. Gigging without a backup is asking for trouble, but don't expect your backup to get a lot of use. This is a dependable guit'.

I have no complaints about the factory setup - it had even been tuned. The frets are nicely positioned and filled, the saddle and bridge sensibly positioned and at the right height. I'm a pretty heavy handed player, and broke the top string pretty quick (maybe I should go back to my bass) but I haven't found any problems or had to make any adjustments yet.

The VS6 is a pretty good copy of a Gibson SG. It's a twin cutaway electric with a pair of humbuckers and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. The first thing I noticed is how great it looks - no wonder Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath always plays SGs! The cherry red finish is the best, it just looks so devilish. It's fairly lightweight mahogany body and the neck is easy to move up and down. Thanks to the twin cuts, you can get right up the frets - great for solos. There's 22 frets; the controls fitted are two volume, two tone and a three-way pickup selector.