VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: Music Room

this guitar suit's my music style perfectly, I love bluesy style rock and AC/DC, so a) I can imagine that I'm Angus young and b) it gives a perfect, bright sound that can easily be switched to a very metal-esque sound by switching pick ups and turning the tone up. I play it through a 45watt squire amp and it sounds brilliant.

I play mainly AC/DC kinds of music, so a good rhythm pick-up is essential for me, I have only been playing for 3 months self taught so I'm not familiar with any advanced techniques. I also have a Hutchins copy of a Dan electro pro, which is good but unreliable. I do wish I had asked how much replacement machine heads were before I bought it, as I had to pay 5 to replace the one my friend broke, I think he still owes it to me. if it got stolen, I would buy it again, without a doubt. I love the colour of it, the sound it makes and just the overall feel of it, it makes me feel like I'm a guitar god (a grade 2 guitar god but hey, I can dream). I don't really hate anything about it, except for the colour of the machine heads, a kind of bogey green. almost glow in the dark colour. my favourite feature is the bodyshape, I have always liked SG's, so this one was a must have. When I was in the store, I went in to try out an Ibanez, but as I was playing (pretty badly) I saw the Vintage, and of course fell in love, so to speak. I do wish it had a Bigsby bridge, albeit a low one, but otherwise, I'd say this guitar deserves a 9/10.

I am unfortunately only an ameture guitarist, so I have not had the liberty of playing Live, though when living in a small house with 3 small children, it gets bumped a lot, so I suppose it could withstand Live playing. The hardware looks like it was done very professionally, and will definitely last for quite a while. the strap buttons are very solid. I should know as once you get a strap on, its hard to get it off again. the finish is very durable and will last a long time, even with heavy playing.

The action to me is fine, but other people have said it is too low and that they can't palm mute on it. However I can palm mute perfectly on it so I'm not complaining. I have made no adjustments to the guitar since it came out of the shop, I haven't raised any pick-ups, I haven't even had to take off the tone or volume knobs to adjust the lining up of the numbers. The guitar does have one flaw hat I have only recently spotted, it does have a few small nicks in the fretboard, but they are hardly noticeable.

I can't quite figure out what year it was made, could be anything from last week to a 1970's Legend. I'm not sure. It has 22 frets, medium jumbos, rosewood fretboard with set mahogany neck (like almost every other Vintage guitar) and is very playable. It is basicly an Epiphone SG Special, but I think it is slightly better. A mahogany body visible through the red varnish it one of the may aesthetic features that drew me to this guitar. It has Standard tune-o-matic ridge with stop bar tailpiece, which I find very easy to palm mute on. It has 2 volume and 2 tone controls with a 3-way selector for the two humbuckers. All of the hardware is made by Wilkinson including the pick-ups and tuners. The tuners are locking but are very fragile, as I found out when one of my friend knocked it over, and one of the machine heads came off. I got a free gig bag with the guitar.

The Beige
    i would have bought an epiphone or even a gibson. if i had the money of course. so the vintage seemed my best bet