VS6 review by Vintage

Vintage: VS6

Purchased from: GAK

I use this guitar for many styles, but based mainly around hard rock and blues. I play it through a Roland Cube 60 and a jim Dunlop crybaby and am very impressed by the tones I get from it. The bridge pickup cuts like a razor and is perfect for AC/DC style distorted tones, and sounds very good when clean. The neck pickup is great for thick, creamy Clapton style blues, and with the gain backed off delivers some lovely sounds. One point I must make is that this guitar is not really suited for sparklingly clean arpeggios or funky, Strat style sounds, but humbuckers usually don't Shine here anyway. This guitar is versitile, dealing with almost anything I throw at it, but is geared mainly toward blues and hard rock. I don't think it would be great for super distorted death metal, but mind you, how many death metallers do you see using SGs?

This guitar has to be one of the best guitars in this price bracket (0-200) and I feel I will be playing it for years to come. I have been playing for about a year and a half now and havn't owned too many guitars, but think it is something special. I considered buying an Epiphone g400, but on all fronts this guitar has it beaten. Looks, price and sound. If it was lost or stolen I would definately buy another one, and reccomend it to any beginner/intermediate players looking for an axe for rock and blues.

I have had this guitar for nearly two months now and despited being played at least once a day it is still in the same condition it came to me in. I'd definitly gig with it, but wouldn't recommend it without backup. The hardware is great, but I'm thinking of replacing the plastic tuners with some metal ones. This guitar, with proper care (For example, not smashing it on the floor after your set) looks like it'll last donkeys years.

This guitar arrived in brilliant condition, with no scratches or marks whatsoever. I picked it up and had a play, and other than being slightly out of tune it played like a dream. The neck was fast and allowed much better upper fret access than my previous guitar (a no-name Les Paul Copy). When I plugged it in the pickups worked well, and the tone and volume pots were fine. One problem I have with it is that the pickup selector makes a hell of a lot of noise when flicked. This is the only thing that brings the rating down, other than that it would have been at least an eight.

This is an SG copy, with 22 frets, a set mahogany neck (great on a guitar at this price point) with a rosewood fretboard and mahogany body. It has a Tune-o-Matic bridge with a stopbar tailpiece and Wilkison tuners. It has two double coil passive wilkison pickups that are controlled by a 3-way pickup selector. The features are brilliant for the price point of the guitar, but obviously don't match those of a higher priced guitar such as a Gibson.

vieira93
    Breakingpoint56 wrote: Why not...just buy an SG. why get a poser? Doesn't have to be a gibson..could have been an epiphone. Buying knockoffs is a good way to look at a company. If they can't come up with anything original and have to just make knockoffs, then they aren't someone id buy from.
    Well... just because they copied that design, it doesn't mean the factory isn't good. I bought mine a couple of days ago and believe me, it could knock off most 300+ guitars I've seen. Why the heck should I buy a crappy Epiphone (they're owned by Gibson, not built by Gibson) when there's a cheaper alternative with better quality?